Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 18-03-2019 10:02 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

No problem!

I agree with everything you said, and you're right about the replacement TV if the board doesn't work.

How are you getting on with regard to your TV situation? 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@mdazza wrote:

I've had my NU7400 for less than two weeks and have just noticed this issue. Am I better off going directly to Samsung or to the retailer (Richer Sounds in my case)?

Talk to RS. They're already aware of this issue and have replaced TVs because of it. You shouldn't have any problem.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

No problem!

I agree with everything you said, and you're right about the replacement TV if the board doesn't work.

How are you getting on with regard to your TV situation? 

I haven't had a chance today to make any calls but rest assured I will update you when I do! I can't wait to find out whether your board replacement works.

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi Tony47

Your above info on the board replacement makes sense, in that it's not responding to the OS correctly, regarding memory.

If the board replacement doesn't work, then surely it'll be a new TV authorisation right? I can't think of what else could fix it, and to be honest, I'm not having my TV being used as a test subject, just to keep adding replacements to see what could help. I'm positive about this one fix, as it could do the trick, but really I don't want people coming in and out to try and correct the issue.

It's also a huge TV, and weighs 16kg, so lifting it up and down off the stand will be a trial lol.

Anyway,  I'll absolutely feed back to this thread when it's 'fixed', with hopefully positive news! 

Patrick169
Explorer
Options

Hi, In thinking about buying TV Samsung, but I noticed in ship there is only 250 MB free internal storage on new TV without any updates. If I update apps there is no free storage. Does it make any sense to by TV from Samsung without this big issue? 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

My advice is do not buy any TV in the NU7*** range. They all seem to have this issue and that's what this thread is all about. Samsung have now started to authorise the changing of the main boards on people's TVs to hopefully fix the issue. Whether that will actually work is unknown at the moment but there are two people on this thread who will be having it done soon, and I'll also be pushing Samsung to do the same with my TV.

However, it's totally ridiculous to buy a new TV and then have to have major surgery on it, and the only reason we're accepting it is that we have no choice. Apparently, even though the TV is faulty we have to accept up to three repairs before a replacement can be allowed. Please save yourself all this hassle and buy a TV from the NU8*** range if you still want a Samsung (no storage issues reported with this range), or wait until next month when the 2019 ranges come out. The new ranges will have 'RU' as the identifying letters for 2019.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi Tony47

Your above info on the board replacement makes sense, in that it's not responding to the OS correctly, regarding memory.

If the board replacement doesn't work, then surely it'll be a new TV authorisation right? I can't think of what else could fix it, and to be honest, I'm not having my TV being used as a test subject, just to keep adding replacements to see what could help. I'm positive about this one fix, as it could do the trick, but really I don't want people coming in and out to try and correct the issue.

It's also a huge TV, and weighs 16kg, so lifting it up and down off the stand will be a trial lol.

Anyway,  I'll absolutely feed back to this thread when it's 'fixed', with hopefully positive news! 

Hi again :smiling-face:

Yes, if the board replacement doesn't work then there's nothing else Samsung can do and they'll have to replace the TV. Even though they're supposedly 'allowed' two more repair attempts I wouldn't accept it as I feel the same as you. I'd then get my retailer John Lewis involved. They have a 5-year warranty as a selling point, and if they won't help it will show that this is nothing but empty sales talk.

However, I'm confident that swapping out the board will solve the problem so I'm remaining positive for the moment! I will be talking to Samsung Support today to get things moving.

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi Tony 

I've been thinking - I'm still a little confused as to why Samsung believe replacing the main board will fix it?

I understand and agree with your logic, but if this issue is affecting most/all NU*****, then why didn't the board that came with the TV, just work anyway? If it affected just one TV then OK, but a whole range? I'm not sure how replacing the board with the exact same one will work, but here's hoping! 

0 Likes
Dal2
Journeyman
Options

Got exactly the same problem customer service awful told the girl I had done reboot etc then she takes over remotely and does the same thing which I had just said didn’t work 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi Tony 

I've been thinking - I'm still a little confused as to why Samsung believe replacing the main board will fix it?

I understand and agree with your logic, but if this issue is affecting most/all NU*****, then why didn't the board that came with the TV, just work anyway? If it affected just one TV then OK, but a whole range? I'm not sure how replacing the board with the exact same one will work, but here's hoping! 

Good point! It's also very odd how the issue is only presenting itself across the NU7000 range rather than across all the 2018 NU ranges. Further up the thread a poster called  said that he'd been told by Samsung that the main board for his NU7400 had been 'superseded' and that  a new board would fix the storage issue permanently. I hope he reports back on this.

It implies that they won't be fitting the same board. However, someone else (you, perhaps?) said that when they asked the technician who came to their house about the storage he confirmed that the amount of storage on the new board was the same as the existing board!

Therefore is it down to a batch of faulty boards specific to the 7000 range, a design issue in the existing board, or some kind of interface issue with the OS? I still think that replacing the board makes sense (assuming it's faulty) as the storage is carried on that board. There's no other possible solution if a firmware update isn't viable.

We can only wait and see. If it doesn't work it would be a real indictment of Samsung's design and quality control systems. If it does work it's still a huge ***** up!

0 Likes