Original topic:

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 16/03/19 01:29)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,812 REPLIES 1,812
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi Tony 

I've been thinking - I'm still a little confused as to why Samsung believe replacing the main board will fix it?

I understand and agree with your logic, but if this issue is affecting most/all NU*****, then why didn't the board that came with the TV, just work anyway? If it affected just one TV then OK, but a whole range? I'm not sure how replacing the board with the exact same one will work, but here's hoping! 

Good point! It's also very odd how the issue is only presenting itself across the NU7000 range rather than across all the 2018 NU ranges. Further up the thread a poster called  said that he'd been told by Samsung that the main board for his NU7400 had been 'superseded' and that  a new board would fix the storage issue permanently. I hope he reports back on this.

It implies that they won't be fitting the same board. However, someone else (you, perhaps?) said that when they asked the technician who came to their house about the storage he confirmed that the amount of storage on the new board was the same as the existing board!

Therefore is it down to a batch of faulty boards specific to the 7000 range, a design issue in the existing board, or some kind of interface issue with the OS? I still think that replacing the board makes sense (assuming it's faulty) as the storage is carried on that board. There's no other possible solution if a firmware update isn't viable.

We can only wait and see. If it doesn't work it would be a real indictment of Samsung's design and quality control systems. If it does work it's still a huge ***** up!

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi Tony 

I've been thinking - I'm still a little confused as to why Samsung believe replacing the main board will fix it?

I understand and agree with your logic, but if this issue is affecting most/all NU*****, then why didn't the board that came with the TV, just work anyway? If it affected just one TV then OK, but a whole range? I'm not sure how replacing the board with the exact same one will work, but here's hoping! 

I know, the whole situation is inexplicable. I can only assume that it's a batch of faulty boards that only affect the 7000 range. As the storage is on the main board it seems to me to be the only possible solution to change it if a firmware update is not viable.

However, given the hot news above just now, maybe a firmware update will happen. Samsung are contradicting themselves though if they say it's a known issue, yet other representatives are arranging board replacements. Don't they know about the firmware update? Personally I'll believe it when I see it.

0 Likes
mdazza
Explorer
Options
TV
Either there's a terrible lack of communication within the support team or they're making case-by-case decisions on the fly.

The one positive is that both hardware (motherboard change) and software 'solutions' are apparently being worked on concurrently. Hopefully that means less delay for a final resolution at some point down the line.
ShootUs
Apprentice
Options
TV

I called RS last week after calling Samsung and getting fobbed off.

RS asked me to do a factory reset on the TV and if that don't work then they will sort the issue out and not leave me in the dark with it the problem.

I did the factory reset, this was a bit of a pain as I had to log back in to all the apps again.  However the error message has now gone!

Not sure how long this will work for, maybe until the next update is required, we will see? 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@ShootUs wrote:

I called RS last week after calling Samsung and getting fobbed off.

RS asked me to do a factory reset on the TV and if that don't work then they will sort the issue out and not leave me in the dark with it the problem.

I did the factory reset, this was a bit of a pain as I had to log back in to all the apps again.  However the error message has now gone!

Not sure how long this will work for, maybe until the next update is required, we will see? 

I'm afraid this is only a temporary 'solution'. A factory reset (or resetting smart hub) does clear out the cache and update the built-in apps but you'll find that there's still very little spare storage space, so when the next update is due you'll have the same issue.

Also, if you download any additional apps the spare space will fill up quickly and you may find the system asking you to plug in a USB drive. In a nutshell you've been fobbed off by RS as well. I'm surprised as they have already replaced a TV due to this issue, as reported by someone on this thread.

0 Likes
NickTheG
First Poster
Options
TV

I have a recent u7400 55inch tv. I have the same problem and purchased also from richersound. I installed two apps plex and steam link. I then get and issue update any built in apps that cannoy be removed. I though it was an issue just with me until i saw this forum. Is the only way to clwar the cach a factory reset. I am annoyed as i got this tv no exspecting to have issues with storage issues of a small amount in 2018.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

Hi, it's interesting that these reports are now coming in thick and fast. 

Yes, the only workaround is a factory reset, which is a pain as all the logins have to be re-entered and any additional apps downloaded again separately. The issue will then reoccur on the next update. 

Did you buy the TV less than 30 days ago? If so, you can change it. If it's after 30 days you'll have to wait along with us for Samsung to get their act together. The two remedial solutions being mentioned by their support are to swap out the main board or wait for a firmware update, due within 7 working days according to a previous poster who spoke to them. 

0 Likes
Paul17777
First Poster
Options
TV

I too have been experiencing this issue with my TV. I have had the TV since July so I am way over the 30 day return policy. Hopefully this update come out soon as I am loathed to have the TV ripped apart for a new main board, which seems a tad extreme. 

0 Likes
mdazza
Explorer
Options
TV

I've had my NU7400 for less than two weeks and have just noticed this issue. Am I better off going directly to Samsung or to the retailer (Richer Sounds in my case)?

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Explorer
Options
TV

Hi Mdazza

To advise - your rights are with the retailer not with Samsung. They may try transferring you to Samsung, but really its RS that should deal with it.

Secondly, you have 30 days to use your product and return it (damage free), no questions asked for a refund or different model. Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

@mdazza wrote:

I've had my NU7400 for less than two weeks and have just noticed this issue. Am I better off going directly to Samsung or to the retailer (Richer Sounds in my case)?

Talk to RS. They're already aware of this issue and have replaced TVs because of it. You shouldn't have any problem.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options
TV

Well i always has 182mb free untill last night, there must have been a round of updates  (some apps had yesterdays date on them as last updated!) and now i have gone down to 159mbs!  I have insalled none of my own apps so the updates have cost me 13mb! When you look at the size of the insalled apps they are so small 400kb etc so i have no idea where this space has gone?

I am going to use tony47 method and reset the smart hub and see what that does.  So this should delete everthing and re-install the latest version of apps?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
TV

Hi Chris,

As the guy on here from Belarus says, most of the 1GB space is being eaten up by the Tizen OS. I don't believe Samsung when they say that there's 4GB installed. There's probably a download cache that's still sitting there after the update as well.

Yes, resetting smarthub clears the cache, downloads the latest versions of the built-in apps and deletes the others if you have any. You'll have to re-enter all your login credentials.

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options
TV

Thanks for you're help

Again i find it crazy that in 2019 i have to do this with a brand new TV

0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options
TV
If you have it in writing from your retailer that they are agreeing to replace and any subsequent costs are not your responsibility there's nothing to worry about.

If its a fuzzy he said, she said then expect to foot the bill.

I asked Crampton & Moore to review these posts and upgrade my TV but they said Samsung are not accepting there is any design flaw and they can do nothing until Customer Services gives them authorisation.

Since then Samsung have said they are sending out a new board and C&M have gone quiet.
0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Explorer
Options
TV
Thank you I appreciate your reply!

What annoying situation for us all to be in! AO seem to be quite good, and although I have nothing in writing, I do expect the TV to be replaced as per what the Technician said.
0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options
TV

whereas i expect the engineer to turn up with the same board give me a blank expression and still have the issue and have to start the process all over again.

thats years in IT for you.

ArtofMotion
Explorer
Options
TV

Lol exactly. Can't they just write a report as my Repair Company did, and say TV to be replaced for you?

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options
TV

Can i ask, you say you had the TV for 5 months and the issue started to appear, have you been downloading any apps? I am happy with the apps i have and have no plans to download anymore, i have 180mb free, and this should be enough for future updates...

I am worried that this error might happen to me even if i dont download any more apps

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Explorer
Options
TV

Hiya, to be honest I would push for a different model like I have. I can almost guarantee that you will sadly run into this issue soon. The sooner you get this fixed, the easier it'll be for you, honestly. It is really annoying, but I guess this is how it is. 

I didn't download any apps no. Just went ahead and used what was on it. 

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options
TV

I totally get what you are saying but its a bit difficult for me as i have not actually had a error yet, if you see what i mean?

0 Likes