Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps Deleted!

(Topic created on: 18-07-2019 11:53 AM)
cjordan1683
Journeyman
Options

Greetings,

This is my first post on the community forums.  Since my Smart HDTV is an older model, I decided to start a new thread since I don't know how many people have dealt with this model.  The situation: As of last night, a message popped up saying it had to run updates in the @InternetTV.  I thought this was a good thing, until another message popped up saying that all but two of my Apps were automatically being deleted.  Total BS!  Very uncool Samsung.....  Here are the following details of my television: 

Model: LN46C670

Software Version: T-VALAUSC-1037.1

(released 2010)

Yes, I know it's outdated, but that still shouldn't warrant all but two apps deleted should it???  It left me with Netflix and VUDU, and granted my wife and I decided two weeks ago that we are getting a Roku stick, but irregardless, some of those other apps were still functioning, and it just deletes them!  I had no control over any of this, it was all automated.  I already contacted Samsung support a couple weeks back simply because I haven't had access to the Internet anymore either.  It just sits there, and never loads the browser.  Turns out, that is due to the TV being outdated. 

A computer's operating system can go out of date too, but that doesn't mean Chrome stops letting you use the last version of their browser, and cut off service to you, it simply means no further updates are available.  So why does Samsung feel the need to take it to the next level and remove all of your Apps???  This is a horrible system when considering customer service!

Since I'm done venting, does anyone have any thoughts whatsoever about getting the apps back????  

1)  I've already reset (initialized) the Internet TV which did absolutely nothing.  I had to re-add our account all over again for nothing.

2)  I've held the power button down, to cycle the TV's power and that does nothing either after bringing it back up. 

3)  I removed the network, and re-added it back, and this did nothing.

4)  As metioned, I called Samsung customer support and they said my TV is too old and unfortunately would not be able to connect to the internet browser anymore (They neglected to mention that nearly all of my apps would also be deleted). 

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to address this?  This is just crazy.  When we have our computer connected to the TV, our connection is not always good, and I need to resort to the TV's built in apps.  I don't want to keep losing these solid apps that I have on my TV.  Yes, they're a little dated, but they NEVER drop an internet connection, when our computer has, so I don't want to lose anything else.  Any advice, hacking/jailbreaking methods are something I'm prepared to try, but I also don't want to brick my entire TV either, so if I'm screwed and I can only rely on the Roku stick, then I will wait a couple more weeks to go with that, but I just wanted to try and see if there is any possible methods or suggestions from someone else who has dealt with this.  I can't be the only one.  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
cjordan1683
Journeyman
Options

Bumping to seek response.  Are there no people familiar with the Smart HDTV that I mentioned? 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @cjordan1683

@cjordan1683 wrote:

Bumping to seek response.  Are there no people familiar with the Smart HDTV that I mentioned? 

I'm sure there are some peeps out there who are. But that's a US model, and this is a UK/Ireland/EU forum, so the potential pool of folks here who wouldn't be thrown by that model code and software version is... a tad smaller.

(We're happy to have you overseas folks here and contributing, but just letting you know - if you didn't already - that there's a Samsung US Community too.)

Figured I'd answer your OP since no one else has:

If we're talking analogies, then Smart TV’s aren’t like PC’s. They’re more like old skool arcade machines: purpose-built, dedicated systems that are great at what they do, but are a little lacking when it comes to flexibility and adaptability. (My AV colleagues and Marketing probably won’t thank me too much for that observation/opinion BTW.)

Judging by what you've said, and what Support advised you, looks like the apps disappeared as they’re no longer supported for that specific model's Smart Hub platform by the relevant apps' services and developers. (Kinda like if a network decides to only broadcast a TV channel via a digital signal, and your TV can only receive and process analogue signals, then that channel will disappear from your TV.) If the apps were still present and working on the Smart Hub before that update messaging, then I'd guess that they were somehow living on borrowed time.

Appreciate the desire for a solution, but an official Samsung forum perhaps isn’t the best place to get advice on hacking your Samsung product. :winking-face:

If your TV’s hardware is otherwise fine, then external devices (e.g. Roku sticks and the like) are a sensible way to keep using apps on the TV (as opposed to buying a new TV every couple of years or so). Old skool Audio/Video tended to be about plugging various things in to your main bit of kit – and the era of ‘Smart’ hasn’t changed that as of yet.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@cjordan1683  Just to also chip in here certainly  seems only authorised fix for your model  (though I am not particularly familiar with it)  would be go with streaming devices  https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-streaming-players,review-2140.html

Obviously up to you but with a Tv's  approaching 10 years old are  more likely to  have problems in the future.  Therefore I'm enclosing a  link to the latest HD sets just in case you would consider upgrading  at some point, UHD more expensive and may not be your thing.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/full-hd-tvs/

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
cjordan1683
Journeyman
Options

Well, it only took 2 weeks to get responses that didn't end up helping in any manner whatsoever.  To make my responses more clear, I'll simply quote you followed by my counter-responses.  

"I'm sure there are some peeps out there who are. But that's a US model, and this is a UK/Ireland/EU forum, so the potential pool of folks here who wouldn't be thrown by that model code and software version is... a tad smaller."

I had no idea, I just simply ran a google search in order to attempt to locate a helpful forum.  Figured this was one, but was severely mistaken.  Clearly something that was done by mistake, but apparently not that clearly understood....

"We're happy to have you overseas folks here"

Are you sure about that?  I'm not getting that vibe from the pretentious, adolescent style of your verbiage.  

"just letting you know - if you didn't already - that there's a Samsung US Community too."

No, that's okay.  I'm looking for professionals that don't need to be corrected per their sarcastic, and childish nature.  Those people know how to help others, and clearly you aren't one of them.

"Figured I'd answer your OP since no one else has"

Too bad you couldn't just do it with respect the way I addressed some previous posts last week.  It's really not hard, you have the power to do it, but you have to reach a mature age of 30 years or older.

"If we're talking analogies, then Smart TV’s aren’t like PC’s."

Thanks for clearing up a an otherwise very obvious statement.  Although, mine was simply stating that there is no reason why the software has to be executed the way it is.  We are seeking customer service after all, not customer pain.

"They’re more like old skool arcade machines"

No they aren't, nothing like them actually.  I've completely gutted a rebuilt arcade cabinets, and I've also taken my TV panel off to reveal the circuit boards and it's a completely different world.  I wouldn't use the follow up examples that you did either......and the correct spelling for your version of whatever "skool" was, is actually spelled school.

"Appreciate the desire for a solution, but an official Samsung forum perhaps isn’t the best place to get advice on hacking your Samsung product. "

I'll do anything to try and get my TV to function as I would prefer rather than relying on pre-pubescent, spoiled brats, but unfortunately, Samsung forums has no professionals in sight, so I'm on my own.

"buying a new TV every couple of years or so"

Only jerks and spoiled brats that don't know the value of a dollar would pull such a thing and throw their money away like that. 

"Old skool Audio/Video tended to be about plugging various things in to your main bit of kit – and the era of ‘Smart’ hasn’t changed that as of yet."

There's that incorrect spelling of school again.  Judging by your spelling abilities and manner of verbiage, I'm guessing you're still somewhere in the K-12 timeline.  If you are in fact much older, then please.....keep it to yourself because that would be beyond sad and disappointing.  I'm also going to wager that you're only aware of one era that you're currently living in.

It's very possible that people like you will be like this when you're 40+ years old, and if that's the case, it's a true tragedy that people like you will be running things soon because things will never get better with people like you in the world, only worse.  You have a LONG way to go before you learn how to properly show respect towards others, and if at any point you can't handle my response, then you shouldn't be dishing out the kind of attitude that you have toward me.  

0 Likes
cjordan1683
Journeyman
Options

James I wouldn't anticipate that you would be familiar with my TV as you were most likely only born a few years prior to its release.  

"I'm enclosing a  link to the latest HD sets just in case you would consider upgrading  at some point."

I value and care for the electronics and other house hold appliances that I purchase.  Ergo, my things actually last a lot longer than the items that this generation of kids get their sticky little fingers on.  You wouldn't know anything about that now would you James?

"UHD more expensive and may not be your thing."

What is that even supposed to mean???  This Television is one item that I own, you know nothing of the other things in my home.  All I'm getting from you and your little friend are pretentious, spoiled brat responses which says volumes about how you treat your electronics as well as people.  I would have much preferred to not receive any responses since this forum is incapable of only giving professional responses and nothing more.  My initial post was respectful, and professional, but it was just too much to ask for the same thing in return.  Have fun behind that computer.  You won't be going anywhere else for a very, very long time.  

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

WOW

People were actually trying to help you, and all you can do is attack them?

You really are a very sad and nasty little person and i hope you're TV blows up and stops working permantly.

You are without doubt the most obnoxious person i have come across on a forum.

AntS
Options

Closing this thread.

Not liking the answers given isn't license to insult and attack other Community users who took the time to respond.

And soliciting for/giving advice on hacking Samsung products also isn't welcome here.

People are welcome to read the Community TOS and Community Guidelines that outline this.