Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Ambient mode

(Topic created on: 09-12-2018 06:41 PM)
Troop3r
Pathfinder
Options

hello I have purchased the samsung qled q6 55 inch tv which is this model https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qledtv-q6fn/QE55Q6FNATXXU/  I have had it for a few days now, having a play around with the settings and features on it, one thing I have noticed is ambient mode which is a nice feature but after reading up about it on the net I have noticed I can upload my own pictures to use but when I upload my pictures they only stay on while I use the smart things app on my phone, is there a way to keep them on permanent as I have a photo of my three grandkids and it would look fantastic on my tv like a real photo on the wall with the real thin bezel around it, it looks like I don't have a television in my living room 🙄.

95 REPLIES 95
LKB
Pioneer
Options

A word of warning to you all . . . .

I’ve been a member both here and on the US Samsung Communities, sharing information and trying to get to the bottom of how to get Ambient Mode working as advertised (long and short, it still doesn’t and it does not appear likely ever to), as well as the maddening problems with Samsung’s HDMI-ARC system (which appear to be nearly universal, but that Samsung US disingenuously claims are just “how HDMI-CEC works,” despite the fact that LG/Sony/Visio/etc. all support HDMI-ARC and HDMI-CEC and don’t have those problems).

Recently, apparently concerned that complaints being voiced by me and other members about these issues were starting to hit too close to home, the Samsung US Moderators first tried to stifle negative info by closing and locking an active thread of over 100 pages of comments (“ARC Sounds keeps resetting to TV Speakers”).  That was followed by “editing” of negative posts about this in other threads, followed by simply deleting posts that were critical of Samsung.   And when called out for such censorship, they simply banned me (and, I suspect, others who have dared point out what appears to be misfeasance by Samsung) from the US Community site with no notice or explanation.

I’ll let you draw your own conclusions from this.  For me, I’d been a loyal Samsung customer for over thirty years.  Not any more — this company has truly lost its way.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@LKB wrote:

A word of warning to you all . . . .

I’ve been a member both here and on the US Samsung Communities, sharing information and trying to get to the bottom of how to get Ambient Mode working as advertised (long and short, it still doesn’t and it does not appear likely ever to), as well as the maddening problems with Samsung’s HDMI-ARC system (which appear to be nearly universal, but that Samsung US disingenuously claims are just “how HDMI-CEC works,” despite the fact that LG/Sony/Visio/etc. all support HDMI-ARC and HDMI-CEC and don’t have those problems).

Recently, apparently concerned that complaints being voiced by me and other members about these issues were starting to hit too close to home, the Samsung US Moderators first tried to stifle negative info by closing and locking an active thread of over 100 pages of comments (“ARC Sounds keeps resetting to TV Speakers”).  That was followed by “editing” of negative posts about this in other threads, followed by simply deleting posts that were critical of Samsung.   And when called out for such censorship, they simply banned me (and, I suspect, others who have dared point out what appears to be misfeasance by Samsung) from the US Community site with no notice or explanation.

I’ll let you draw your own conclusions from this.  For me, I’d been a loyal Samsung customer for over thirty years.  Not any more — this company has truly lost its way.

Hi, and I hate censoring when it is supposed to be an open forum.  Thing is the only way a company can know about issues is if their customers can voice them. 

I have to say on the UK forums the moderators are brilliant. They never censor any critical posts of Samsung that I know of, but they moderate in a fair way,  and allow open and free discussion.  Before you ask no i don't work for Samsung as I am sure the moderators will agree.  

I was once told that no complaint is a bad complaint but a learning opportunity. 

Paul

Amf6
Student
Options

Has anyone learned whether Samsung intends to  fix Ambient Mode so we can upload photos to our QLED TVs, as Samsung promised could be done when we bought the televisions? Why doesn't anyone from Samsung respond to these concerns?

0 Likes
LKB
Pioneer
Options

Let’s put it this way . . . .

Samsung has long misrepresented Ambient Mode, and continues to do so to this date.  For example, note that they still represent that you can “play a bit of light music” in Ambient Mode, even though that feature never seems to have been implemented in the released version (if indeed it ever actually existed). 

And, of course, what does Samsung do when consumers complain and point out their duplicity on this and other, similar issues?  In my case (and I suspect others), the US Community administrators simply ban those of us who dare to do so.

If the UK/EU Community Moderators have more class than that, good for them.  (Perhaps they could explain if their US colleagues’ actions in censoring criticism are consistent with Samsung’s policies and practices . . . .).   But combine what Samsung has done in the past with what they are doing in the present, and I think you have a pretty good idea of the future — and that doesn’t auger well for Ambient Mode ever being fixed.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

I can’t speak as to what our friends in the States do on their own turf - that's very much up to them.

But for our part in the UK & Ireland, we like to maintain an open and fair discussion as best we can within the TOS/Community Guidelines  (which are there for the good of ALL Community users).

Also, it may interest folks to know that apart from the OP, Moderators, James (the solution provider), and Paul, everyone else in the thread isn’t from the UK or Ireland. Most of you are from the US - with the occasional person from Finland, Spain or New Zealand. Outside of this thread, there's very, very little on the UK forum that's from UK/Ireland-based users on this specific topic, even though we've got a pinned thread for general chat about 2018 QLED's.

If this specific issue is happening in the UK/Ireland, it’s being very oddly under-reported by UK/Ireland-based Community users in comparison to you guys elsewhere. 

BigHirdy
Student
Options

Hi I bought a Samsung Q9 and hoped to be able to use the ambient mode to show my own photos but after following all the instructions and downloading Samsung app found this impossible to acheive. Was and still am very dissapointed.

I am from the UK so its not only a problem for our U.S cousins

LKB
Pioneer
Options

I certainly appreciate that the Moderators here are responsive -- perhaps that is why you have so many US readers!  (When it comes to providing actual technical support and accurate information, the moderators on the US Community page are pretty much worthless, and when faced with knotty problems like this they typically just ignore the threads entirely, other than to start editing / deleting / banning when the natives start getting especially restless.)

WRT the problems with Ambient Mode not being reported by many UK/Ireland custmers, is that because the problem doesn't exist or because folks just aren't complaining about it?   Stated differently, does Ambient Mode actually work as advertised on UK Samsung Q8/Q9's?

If not (which, as the last poster seems to have verified, seems to be the case), can you share any info on why?

AntS
Options

Hi @BigHirdy. Just to confirm, have you set things up correctly both on the SmartThings app and TV on-screen controls side of things?

Ambient Mode SmartThings app setup guidance:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/pop_troubleshooting.jsp?idx=1000712&modelname=&modelcode=&...=

Ambient Mode TV on-screen control guidance:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/pop_troubleshooting.jsp?idx=1000015&modelname=&modelcode=&...=

0 Likes
StDomingos
First Poster
Options

Have to be honest and own up to just being completely uninspired and dissapointed with my Q6FN55. I bought a Q6F in February and it was absolutely fantastic. However my little one put the remote through the screen. Onlybtgought was that I now had the opportunity to buy myself the Q6FN, Same model, but 2018 version. What a mistake. Finish of the bezel isn't the same quality, the IR receiver protrudes from the bottom which ruins the sleek look. Even though Samsung sell the Q series as having the one connect (my old one did have) the newest releases don't have. So, any way, I decided that as Id put it on the wall and paid to get the wall chased out to hide the wires I now needed to run in the wall, Id keep it. It did have ambient mode after all and I can show all my photos of my kids off as is advertised. How wrong I was. Really really disillusioned with this tv now. Gutted Really, I thought I was onto something after the quality of their 2017 versions.

UK buyer, and most of my personal devices are Samsung. It's frustrating how Samsung SmartThings doesnt even seem to work between two Samsung devices in a smart manner.

BigHirdy
Student
Options

Hi I insalled the SmartThings app onto my iphone xs and followed all the instructions. Just couldn't seem to get the pics to transfer. Not in a position to retry at the moment as i'm in the Gulf of Mexico working at the moment. I would be grateful for your assistance and will definitely try anything to get it to work in January when I am next home. U-tube video on how to would be helpful