Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ambient Mode message on TV when turned on

(Topic created on: 17-08-2020 12:54 AM)
mplattner99
Apprentice
Options

When I turn on the TV  a message appears on the top right corner that stays on the screen for a few minutes.  Is there a way of disabling this message from appearing?  The message is:  "Support for the Ambient mode Headlines Service is scheduled to end on September 30, 2020.  We thank you for using the service and we look forward to providing an improved alternative in the near future"  

26 REPLIES 26
Luke999
Student
Options

I couldn't get the Ambient Mode Headline Service notice off of my QLED tv unless I powered down.  Yesterday,the notice would pop up for 30 seconds or so and then disappear. Today it would not go away on it's own and I could not remove it with remote.  There is an "OK" button/box on the bottom of the notice, but most of the buttons (including enter) on my Samsung remote were disabled when the notice was present.  Only the power, volume and channel rocker buttons worked. 

Finally turned tv off (not just ambient mode) and left it off for a minute, before turning back on.  So far, I have not encountered the notice again.

0 Likes
Luke999
Student
Options

On my TV at least, there is an option in Ambient mode called "Headlines." When the option is chosen and the TV is put in Ambient/screensaver mode the screen displays the time and a short blurb on daily headlines (e.g. "Stock markets are down today due to..."). I have to assume Samsung simply made a business decision that it is not worth it to provide the free service and is notifying customers it is discontinuing.  I wish they would simply remove the feature instead of annoying us with an obtrusive popup notice (I doubt that many customers used the feature to begin with).   The popup notice was causing issues on my tv as I could not remove it with my remote - I had to power off and back on to make it go away.

barqySpaniel
Student
Options

One configuration option I noticed for "Ambient Mode" is "INFO" which can show headline news.

I suspect this is the feature who's license is about to run out....

Smart money says Ambient Mode isn't going to break, just this particular feature, which doesn't have to be selected.

So, no big deal unless you like having news in the background when Ambient is active :smiling-face:

barqySpaniel
Student
Options

One notice would be ok.  But it keeps popping up.  Not necessary.  But it's also not cool for them to drop a feature that was part of advertising for the TV when it was sold.  I like the feature.

userwq1u1APR98
First Poster
Options

There is no options to manage notifications when following the link above. I also logged into the community, tried changing my options in my profile, we'll see if it works. 

TrevG
First Poster
Options

I did what you suggested but, no luck😕. The notification stays on screen for hours and reappears at random intervals.

Any help would be appreciated.

mickg
Apprentice
Options

It's seriously annoying and blocks real estate on the screen randomly with no way to disable. "Worry" is not the issue.  "Annoyance" and "disabling" it is.

mickg
Apprentice
Options

So no one at Samsung has acknowledged this and given us a way to disable this completely useless notification?  I would like to turn ALL of these kinds of things off, completely and avoid this in the future.  It's a truly awful way to communicate with the user of a TV. 

And as others have mentioned here, I've never wanted or needed to use my original Samsung TV remote to watch TV.  We're either using DVR or a Roku or AppleTV remote like the majority of people who buy Samsung for the quality of the screen, the hardware, not the software or interface.

mickg
Apprentice
Options

I wish this worked, but my interface doesn't link to "My Profile."   It opens up: My settings.  As far as I can tell, these are only the setting for this "Community Forum," and don't affect your TV at all.  

Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab has nothing there.  Again, everything there appears to be the settings for this website and not the TV itself.

Has anyone dug through the endless menus on the TV itself and found a way to disable ALL on-screen notifications like this?

Truly dumb "feature" that made it out of committee...

Cdq
First Poster
Options

I have same problem and concern.  I spent an hour with support and zero help. He never understood my comment that a notification should not pop up that I can not click ok or somehow delete permanently. 

0 Likes