Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa saying random things

(Topic created on: 11-05-2023 02:52 PM)
Echoesoffloyd
Pioneer
Options

Hi All,

for some reason Alexa on my smart Samsung QE43QN90B TV has started saying random incorrect information when I ask to change channel.

Anyone else getting this?

For example I'll say Alexa BBC1HD Alexa says tuning to BBC1HD but adds a lot of other stuff completely unrelated to that channel.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
AndrewL
Options

@Echoesoffloyd: If you head to Home > Menu > Settings > All Settings > General & Privacy > Voice Settings > Amazon Alexa Settings, are there any options available here that might resolve the issue for you? 

If not, then please can you clarify what additional information/spoken feedback you're hearing, and if it is persistent across all Alexa commands and responses? 

0 Likes
Echoesoffloyd
Pioneer
Options

@AndrewL 

Thanks for reply, it seems to have been happening since BBC local TV station went to HD. It will go to the channel but then say something about a program that's not actually on BBC. 

I Just said "Alexa channel 101" Alexa said "tuning to channel 101 this is CNN this morning"

I've reinstalled Alexa app on TV several times but that doesn't fix it.

0 Likes
Echoesoffloyd
Pioneer
Options

Hi this is still happening every time I use Alexa on my TV.  It selects the correct channel if I say Alexa channel 101 but gives out the wrong channel information, says this is HLM, similar for  Channel 103. I've tried reinstalling Alexa I've done soft reset I've left unplugged and restarted the TV also retuned the tv channels, swapped Vioce assistant and back to Alexa but nothing works.

It's now not even selecting BBC HD when I say Alexa BBC 1 HD, it says whats on correctly but the channel is not actually selected and stays on current channel. I've tried the software updates in settings but it says its all up to date current version 1430.

0 Likes
Members_hJkhwfR
Apprentice
Options

I have exactly the same problem… 

When I say “Alexa… channel 101” it tunes to the right channel but then announces it as “HLM”

when I say “Alexa… channel 103” it tunes to 103 but announces it as “MSNBC”

it’s as if it’s looking up the channel details and giving me the USA channel information… even though I’m in the UK and the Alexa settings on the TV are already set to UK

anyone at Samsung looked into this problem please?

Echoesoffloyd
Pioneer
Options

Glad I'm not the only one, it's still doing it, and as far as I know Samsung have done nothing about the problem.

So annoying, you can't remove the Alexa app from the TV and reinstall, there's not been a software update since I got the TV either. My current version is 1430 is yours the same?

Members_hJkhwfR
Apprentice
Options

… yes my system software is 1430 and the version shown in the Alexa settings on the TV is version 1.1.0

its a bug for sure and needs an update… I’d put money on the TV is looking up American channel details rather than UK.  Seems like this has not been tested properly in the UK before release. 

want to get it sorted… even willing to spend some time on the phone with Samsung if I can work out who to speak to and how best to contact them.

0 Likes
Echoesoffloyd
Pioneer
Options

I did start a chat with someone at Samsung support but they wanted me to download a newer software update to a flash drive but I was reluctant to do that, as I think it was for the US. I would rather the update was done in the correct way through the TV. My Alexa is also 1.1.0.

I've also tried to get Google Voice assistant to work and it never has, and Bixby is just as useless. 

0 Likes
Members_hJkhwfR
Apprentice
Options

By the way…. A few weeks ago I noticed that in the Alexa settings on the TV there is a section called “settings… help… contact us” where it tells you to download the Alexa app on your mobile phone and then use the section of the app called “help and feedback… contact us” to provide feedback on your experience with Alexa on your TV.  This basically means you are talking to Amazon about using Alexa on your Samsung TV so they must be providing support and so have probably written the Alexa software on the Samsung TV.

I contacted them in this way and I did get a reply which was along the lines of “oh I didn’t even know we did Alexa on Samsung TVs”.  No further replies from Amazon since.

0 Likes
Echoesoffloyd
Pioneer
Options

That really is poor, not looking like it will be fixed any time soon is it.

0 Likes