Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads on TV

(Topic created on: 16-10-2019 01:20 AM)
PeterSams
Journeyman
Options

Does anybody know how to turn off really annoying ads popping up on menu bar of tv. I didn't pay nearly £2500 to be bombarded with this rubbish. I have a QLED Q8. Any help would be gratefully received as this is driving me to distraction.

49 REPLIES 49
banonli
First Poster
Options

This is a madness, I am experiencing the same behaviour and I am not able to block them. I disabled all checkboxes in terms and conditions menus, and I am still receiving ads. Here is a screenshot.photo_2019-10-03_23-35-54.jpg

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options
Unfortunately there is literally nothing we can do. It's hard coded apparently.
Glorfindel
Pioneer
Options

1) Buy a RaspberryPi

2) Install PiHole

3) Add this nice blocklist for the *****ty samsung ads servers (among others):

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Perflyst/PiHoleBlocklist/master/SmartTV.txt

4) Enjoy the TV you paid for without ads

5) Next time, remember not to buy Samsung's *****ty TVs.

Glorfindel
Pioneer
Options
chillyWills123
First Poster
Options

I returned my TV, and I suggest everyone else does. 

If they want to run ads on my items then they should pay me, it's F'n ridiculous 

Bianca20
First Poster
Options

Hi guys,

I found a super easy way to get rid of the ads. Go into apps and lock the Universal Guide App. It's that easy.

After locking, the app is still visible in the bar at the bottom of the screen; but it's now got a little lock emblem on it, and it doesn't expand the ad banner up over the screen like it used to (unless you unlock it of course.) Since I locked the app the only ad I'm getting now is the small one to the left of the now locked Universal Guide App, which is small and not very noticeable.

Just to future proof it, I turned off automatic updating and don't intend to ever update the TV again. I suspect that this being 2020 the only update Samsung will doing on this 2019 TV is ad upates. They are done developing this firmware and have moved on to the 2020 line up. But a future update could remove the locking option from the Universal Guide App when they realize it turns off the ads revenue.

Kaciara
Student
Options

@JEWbacca wrote:

I found the solution:

Settings > support > terms & policy >interest based advertisements 

Uncheck the box that says enable to blah blah blah. 

No more ads. 

that doesnt work... ads still there after a few

0 Likes
pbav
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I blocked these by adding "samsungads" and "samsungtvads" to my URL filter list on the blacklist of my ASUS router firewall settings, stopped the ads a treat.

Cheers.

Z137
First Poster
Options

Is this the last TV I ever buy from samsung? No matter what I do "Sponsored" (currently editors choice in pic) tile will reappear after maybe a power cycle if I can make it disappear that long. I use plenty of apps on my TV already and this ad tile always wants me to sign up for something I'm not using or dont even have installed. Like xumo.

15875204074901328445525382405090.jpg

ElderThing
First Poster
Options

notification:

Dear Samsung, I have now been in contact with a couple of product comparison sites, and a couple of reviewers, and talked to them about adding - to for examples TV product description/product propertys the fields "HasAds". this property will for some be filterable, thus enable to filter out products that has ads. 

To Other Forum users: please be active, email, write a suggestion to your site of choice and suggest the same feature. If owner of site, implement it, if reviewer, add information about this. 

Nobody should have to get this feature unaware.

By "Word of mouth" I am now aware, and unfortunately this disqualifies _ANY_ samsung smart TV for me - as long as I even _risc_ getting ads.