Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 15-05-2019 11:30 AM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

Go to solution
425 REPLIES 425
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Humorsopa wrote:

The 8K model who initially lacks 2.1 input is the 2018 version, QE75Q900RATXXC, link here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-QE75Q900RATXXC-TV-QLED-SAMSUNG/dp/B07JHK8FNQ?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_ma...

Not true. The QE75Q900RATXXC TV  comes without the HDMI 2.1 - but it does get an upgrade with the new OCB replacement. This is as mentioned before even promised on the product page.

Skjermbilde 2020-09-12 kl. 21.14.52.png

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

That's what I said. "initially lacked"... 😉

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Better explained

The 8K 2018 model, QN75Q900RBFXZA, has no 2.1-port on the OCB. But you are fully entitled to switch to a new OCB box with HDMI 2.1. Returning the "old" one is free of charge. Call or email Samsung, and they will fix it. 

2019 8K model, like QE75Q950RBTXXC, called Q950R in Europe already has a HDMI 2.1 port in port 4. You don't have to do anything.

2020 8K models, like QE75Q950TSTXXC, exactly the same.

2018 and 2019 models can't process the AV1 codec, being used for example to playback 8k on YouTube. So that won't work. Fortunately, third parties will benefit from having AV1 decoding built in. For example, the great Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 would be very surprising if it didn't have this built in in their next model release. It's single purpose is to stream high quality video with all apps imaginable built in and/or downloadable. 

2020 models already can handle the AV1 codec. 

clipcarl
Journeyman
Options

If you really want to future-proof I'd recommend buying a receiver that can handle multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs. The receiver I have, while fine otherwise, can only handle one.

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Well that problem was solved when I plugged in my Yamaha RX-V6A, 3 HDMI 2.1, 7 altogether. Pretty much safe on all fronts I'd say. 😊 

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I assume it will not indicate if an HDMI 2.0 port (with the 2.1 hardware/chip) that can be upgraded to HDMI 2.1 ? 

By the way, this raises also the question, that not many have asked, if there should be four - or at least two - HDMI 2.1 ports, instead of just one ? By two, meaning the 2nd. HDMI 2.1 port would be for the eARC converter, as I assume HDMI 2.0 might not be sufficient (though I do seem to remember a 4K HDMI 2.0 eARC converter somewhere....) ?

0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

thanks for the hint. Didn’t know that there was a new version out already for the RX-V series supporting 8K. I am on Yamaha for two decades  already 😉

GQ65Q800T
tom99
Voyager
Options

In the German Samsung  community there is a discussion on HDMI capabilities for the 2019 models. One comment is pretty interesting because it seems also relevant for the Q 900R with the updated OCB and explains very well the technology behind the HDMI update . I translated the comment with a Microsoft app, but think that worked pretty well: 

“Wit the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 everything goes up to 2160p (4k) at 60Hz (logically, 1440p also goes at 120hz). Anything beyond 2160p and 60hz requires the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1, including 4k@120hz and 8k@60hz. However, the Q90R and Q85R have a special HDMI port, the said HDMI Port 4. It is an "Out of Spec" HDMI Port 2.0, but unfortunately not a full-fledged HDMI Port 2.1. The bandwidth of port 4 on the Q90R and Q85R is between HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.1. This is enough to play 4k@120hz on Q90R and Q85R, which is not possible with normal HDMI 2.0 ports (since only 60hz). Unfortunately, the bandwidth does not last to activate HDR at 4k@120hz. For this, the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 is required, which only the 2020 QLEDs can do, since they have full-fledged HDMI 2.1“

GQ65Q800T
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Hi @tom99 

Can you post this in the "Samsung QLED TV Owners " group on Facebook ?

0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

unfortunately I’m not on Facebook

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes