Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 15-05-2019 11:30 AM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

Go to solution
425 REPLIES 425
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Danielecalabrese75 wrote:

can you guys confirm that the q900 can take HDMI 2.1 with the onebox update? I am in thailand

It is not an update - as in getting fixed with a software update - it is an upgrade, in which Samsung need to swap your One Connect Box with a new replacment One Connect Box that has the HDMI 2.1 port (usually in port 4), or an upgradable HDMI 2.0 port (with the chipset of a HDMI 2.1) that gets a firmware update. Now, just be aware there are some who claims the HDMI 2.1 port is in port 1, and some even claims that all ports has this upgrade.... So what you need to do is to contact the Samsung support in your country (Thailand), and get them to send you the One Connect Box replacement, in which you need to return the old one when you got the new one. With that being said, I am not sure if the HDMI 2.1 port needs an additional future firm-/software update (as one of the Sony TVs - XH90 / X900H - has just gotten a few days ago).

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@tom99 we need to set up our TV the way @Humorsopa has done his set up. He has connected his Samsung TV to a big Seagate Expansion Desktop in which he has stored many video files in 8K (even the ones you tested some time ago from that google site).

seagate-expansion-desktop-6tb-svart

@Humorsopa can you show us exactly your set up with different external devices and even which cables you used in between them and the One Connect Box, etc. ? In details...

0 Likes
clipcarl
Journeyman
Options

... it is an upgrade, in which Samsung need to swap your One Connect Box with a new replacment One Connect Box that has the HDMI 2.1 port (usually in port 4), or an upgradable HDMI 2.0 port (with the chipset of a HDMI 2.1) that gets a firmware update.o).

My set did not need any type of hardware swap. It has worked at 8k60 over HDMI port 4 from the start.

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

For what have you been using that resolution, how, and lastly, what model number is your TV? 

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Just to make it simple. I connect three Seagate USB 3.0 Expansion desktop drives (1@8TB and 2@10TB, all with separate power supply) to a remote controlled "Cable Matters 4 Port USB 3.0 Switch Hub USB Sharing Switch" whereas one goes in to the middle USB port of the OCB.

All drives formatted in exFAT as it's the fastest and most reliable. Then I just fill it up with content in the specific order I want, naming them whatever, and they pop up in the smart hub. Just a click on the remote and I switch disk. Simple, and transferring data goes really smooth without hickups, up to the toughest 8k HDR content. Easy peasy! 😊

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Oh, cables. Good quality USB 3.0 certified cables of course. 

0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

eARC – software update  and/or hardware upgrade required:

Yamaha is offering an eARC update for a range of their AV receivers since May 2019. Owners of such a receiver can simply go to the support site and download the update file for installation on their receivers. And I don’t think that these receivers are equipped with HDMI 2.1 ports, as they were shipped before 2019. So I conclude  that a software update should also be sufficient for the Samsung TVs.

GQ65Q800T
tom99
Voyager
Options

only port 4? Did you test the others? It’s a long discussed question if only port 4 or all ports.

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Yes. Only port 4 has 2.1. 

high06
First Poster
Options

With the service remote control, all ports can be set to 2.1

0 Likes