Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 13-09-2020 12:27 PM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
tom99
Voyager
Options

well done, this is really a great review, bringing a lot of transparency in a long discussed subject!

GQ65Q800T
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks for info. I got the same set. Q950R but with box model 2003RS. Got it swapped. Do you know what the difference is? Two support engineers on two different occasions told me it supports HDMI 2.1 on port 1. As they claim that this model has been fully HDMI 2.1 certified, shouldn't it be able to support all it's features if so? For example, 8k@60hz being one of them. 

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Hey Christian, thank you so much for doing this EDID bump. Your efforts are really appreciated !

If this VESA DSC 1.2 or DSC is not fixed in the One Connect Box, might it be fixed by an external device through any of the different ports ?

0 Likes
chroman
Apprentice
Options

@Humorsopa wrote:

Thanks for info. I got the same set. Q950R but with box model 2003RS. Got it swapped. Do you know what the difference is? Two support engineers on two different occasions told me it supports HDMI 2.1 on port 1. As they claim that this model has been fully HDMI 2.1 certified, shouldn't it be able to support all it's features if so? For example, 8k@60hz being one of them. 

Unfortunately, I do not what the difference is, sorry. But I actually have another 55 TV set from 2019 with 1005R, so I'm going to extract the EDID and see the difference.

Also, I was wrong about the 2020 model, Vincent from HDTVTest confirms that even the 8K 2020 flagship model Q950TS supports 40Gbps only (10Gbps per lane), but apparently DSC is supported at 6Gbps per lane = 24Gbps https://imgur.com/a/2Orgsv6

Here's the full video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4z2vjQ7S4

@PeerNorway wrote:

Hey Christian, thank you so much for doing this EDID bump. Your efforts are really appreciated !

If this VESA DSC 1.2 or DSC is not fixed in the One Connect Box, might it be fixed by an external device through any of the different ports ?

Thanks. Not sure if DSC can be fixed by another device. I tried to use the 3DClub DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 and I could not even get 4K @ 120Hz 8-bit 4:2:0 working properly (that's about 16Gbps, so that's not even the full HDMI 2.0b bandwidth). I believe the adapter is entirely DSC-driven (so it compress DP to HDMI), so TV must be able to decompress it.

I'll post the EDID results for my 55 8K 2019 model later.

Dazwana
First Poster
Options

I have the qe82q950rbtxxu worh the soc1007r box and I’m told by customer support the 2019 version TVs won’t have nor will get hdmi 2.1? 

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

For that size (82") you will have use for the 8K function and the HDMI 2.1 - and also for the new PS4 and Xbox consoles it might be a missing factor... The strange thing is that you can get different answers from different customer support people. Some say it will, and some say it will not, then some say you get a special HDMI port that will accept the 8K 60p. I would ask again a few times to different support people. It is strange that the 2018 version of this 8K TV have been promised - even on the Samsung product page - a new One Connect Box with a HDMI 2.1 port:

"Will provide complimentary upgrade for HDMI 2.1 support when available. Please contact customer support for more details."

Screencapture from the specifics on the Samsung product page for the 8K Q900R (note that this is not mentioned on the product page of Q950R): 

Skjermbilde 2020-09-12 kl. 21.14.52.png

I would also ask how you would be able to watch the promised 8K picture resolution without an HDMI 2.1 upgrade on your 8K TV's One Connect Box, if all four ports are only in HDMI 2.0.

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Your model already have Hdmi 2.1 on port 4 so you don’t need a new one connect box , also your tv was the first model ever to be certified 2.1 capable, cheers

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Well, all Samsung techs says it is port 1. 

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

D265A410-C4A0-433D-8D48-BAB8B63ACC99.jpeg

 I’ve been told is 4, also most sites claims is 4, however just plug and see then

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I have also been told it is in port 4, but this is the problem with Samsung, you don't get one answer to a problem, but end up with more confusion and getting into the wrong paths of more problems as the information is wrong and you need to deal with that till you find out it is wrong. I have even come across those that believe all four ports are now HDMI 2.1, which most of us would agree on that it is wrong, but that is what they been told by Samsung support...

0 Likes