Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 19-05-2020 06:42 AM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
Huffdan7
Explorer
Options
I no longer have the OBC but I thought it had a 2.1 HDMI plug
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@tom99 wrote:

@PeerNorway 

this has nothing to do with HDMI ports. You just download the video from the source I mentioned, copy it on a common USB stick and plug it into one of the three USB ports on the right side of the OCB. The USB stick with them appear under the list of devices, which you then open and just start the video snd enjoy. While playing you should check the sugn on the right side of the screen and select info, which will give you details on the resolution

I was able to download the "Ghost Town" file to a USB stick I found at home. This video is also on YouTube in 4K. I got the 7680x3894 resolution in the information, but the closeup of the lady in the video did not seem that sharp (same when watching in 4K through YouTube. Plus it said in the YouTube video description it was upscale: "Filmed on the RED Epic Dragon 6K in Portrait orientation and then stitched together in Adobe After Effects. Some shots simply scaled up by 125% from 6.1K to meet the 7.6K standard."

I am keen to try out the New York video though, but I need to get a bigger USB stick...

0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

@PeerNorway 

Great job that you have come so far already!  But definitely go for the New York video. I think that was even recorded and 12 K. you will then see how close you can get to the TV and still recognize any details. Can't wait to hear your impressions about it!

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

@PeerNorway 

PS: you can also use a  2.5 hard disk hard disk for storage if the video. That's what are use for my recordings anyway.

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@tom99 wrote:

@PeerNorway 

Great job that you have come so far already!  But definitely go for the New York video. I think that was even recorded and 12 K. you will then see how close you can get to the TV and still recognize any details. Can't wait to hear your impressions about it!

@tom99 wrote:

@PeerNorway 

PS: you can also use a  2.5 hard disk hard disk for storage if the video. That's what are use for my recordings anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement and great tips mate. Did you notice the face and skin on that lady was a bit "melted" or "layered" on your screen ? I think they could have done better when filming her face - as that is where you look for details in my opinion. By the way, are you able to do a comparison picture of the close up in the New York video to show the difference between 4K and 8K on your TV ? I have a 75" screen, but only have a iPhone 7, and my photographing skills are not so good... Haha... It would be great for the ney-sayers... Some duche bag on Facebook is sabotaging my posts - just for trying to share my findings with others the 8K function to help...

0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

@PeerNorway 

I think there is no way how you can switch between 4K and 8K on the TV. Even my iPhone can only do 4K photos, so I don't know how I could do what you suggested

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I meant to find a specific sequence - that has particular interesting details that stand out - and run it in the 4K on YouTube on your TV first, and then run the same sequence in 8K from the downloaded clip - and compare the two with a zoomed in close-up picture.

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I contacted Samsung through their telephone support to find out if my new One Connect Box replacement (SOC: 2003RS) I got in mid-May (14th.May2020) for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade, might have also gotten the eARC and AV1 upgrade (which someone on Facebook had claimed was fixed since I got my new OCB so late, even with my Q900R TV model).

To my surprise, the service person I talked to had no understanding or knowledge of the swap of the old One Connect Box to a new one which should have the HDMI 2.1 - she even claimed (without me asking) Samsung had replaced the port to a "special unique" HDMI 2.0 on the box which would make the TV 8K ready, I tried to correct her that the new box should have a HDMI 2.1 port, in which she insisted it was not and referred to what she had been told by a technician she had to talk to. Then she referred to the eARC, and not the AV1, when I talked about watching 8K on YouTube... She offered to go and talk to the technician again, but this mess got me so frustrated that I had to kindly stop the telephone call.

0 Likes
StuN
Apprentice
Options

@Airmen wrote:

So does the box soc1005r already have hdmi2.1?

In a word: No. The OCB model number should be soc2001r. The model you've got there is the original, which only has hdmi 2.0

0 Likes