Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 11-10-2019 11:36 AM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options
Hi Paul,
Your intuitions are spot on.

Sunny
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sunny69 wrote:
Hi Paul,
Your intuitions are spot on.

Sunny

Yep they I think are the best to buy from.

The reason I say that is not that a work for them, because I don't but they are members of the Alternative resolution scheme which is a great independent free arbitration. The misrepresentaion with the KS series and it was Richer Sounds who were the first to accept and gave all KS owners who asked a full refund, even if the TV's were over 12 months.

They have a great 6 year warrenty and as you found they are very reasonable.

So with all that money back thought of which new telly you are getting?

0 Likes
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

Hi Paul, 

Yes you are right about Richer Sounds, they seem the have a practical approach to doing business, kinda like putting themselves in the customers shoes when it comes to dealing with complaints. 

As far as a new TV goes, I'm tempted to wait for Black Friday and try and get either LG OLED77C9 or the equivalent Sony AF9.

Sunny

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Sunny69 wrote:

Hi Paul, 

Yes you are right about Richer Sounds, they seem the have a practical approach to doing business, kinda like putting themselves in the customers shoes when it comes to dealing with complaints. 

As far as a new TV goes, I'm tempted to wait for Black Friday and try and get either LG OLED77C9 or the equivalent Sony AF9.

Sunny

Nice

0 Likes
TNTDOC
First Poster
Options

After reading this forum here I got worried - I just bought the 2018 QE75Q900RST for a really good deal - and the retailer insisted that the connect box swap would work.

To cut it short: Samsung Germany just in written (Chat) confirmed a connect box swap program which is alraedy live.

I just came of samsungs chat (Germany) and they have confirmed that they can swap the connect box (I have saved the chat protocoll ;)). Be aware, that also the latest TV supports HDMI 2.1 "FEATURES" - as the standard apparently is not 100% defined yet (to my information) - but this does not really matter in my opinion as with this program I get the lastest upgrade to the latest samsung 2019 technology from a connect box point of view.

0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

Not really clear to me, what you're trying to say. Each Q900 is eligible for the exchange of the OCB to allow for HDMI 2.1 support, which is available on port 4.  There are no other changes. If you still have the old OCB, just get it changeed via the support.

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

So the new OCB is a special type for the 2018 models, unfortunately it does not provide all 2019 model functionality 

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
TNTDOC
First Poster
Options

thanks for your replay Tom99 - you bring up a good point.
So what are the things this upgrade is missing out on?
And - one quesiton I had for myself: is the 2019 version having a new Quantum AI chip or is it the same one as from the 2018 edition? If they are different is the update of the chip and engine significant? I have not seen any comparisons yet.

I found a post in another forum where a user claims the new OCB (one connect box - I am learning) apparently upgrades the picture quality of 1080p content - anyone who can confirm or not that there is a picture quality improvement with the new OCB? https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-q900r-8k-qled-owners-thread.2194057/post-27369383

For me the buy was a real bargain so I am exchanging it for my Q9FN for very little money - but it would be interesting what I am missing out on - apart of the clear display updates in the 2019 version:
- less reflections on the panel
- better viewing angles
- more natural color mixing

BTW: port 4 is not the best port - as at least I use it for ARC to my receiver ... so this is a downfall

0 Likes
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

@TNTDOC wrote:

thanks for your replay Tom99 - you bring up a good point.
So what are the things this upgrade is missing out on?
And - one quesiton I had for myself: is the 2019 version having a new Quantum AI chip or is it the same one as from the 2018 edition? If they are different is the update of the chip and engine significant? I have not seen any comparisons yet.

I found a post in another forum where a user claims the new OCB (one connect box - I am learning) apparently upgrades the picture quality of 1080p content - anyone who can confirm or not that there is a picture quality improvement with the new OCB? https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-q900r-8k-qled-owners-thread.2194057/post-27369383

For me the buy was a real bargain so I am exchanging it for my Q9FN for very little money - but it would be interesting what I am missing out on - apart of the clear display updates in the 2019 version:
- less reflections on the panel
- better viewing angles
- more natural color mixing

BTW: port 4 is not the best port - as at least I use it for ARC to my receiver ... so this is a downfall

Hi TNTDOC,

One of my biggest mistakes I made was buying a Samsung QE65Q900R, what a load of rubbish this model is, it says it has upscaling capabilities to 8K, but Samsung forgot to mention that the upscaling capabilities are 100% reliant on the input source i.e if you input source is HD then it will display in HD, If your input is SD then it will display in SD format, basically making the sold called upscaling feature absolutely pointless. 

Also these panels suffer from screen uniformity issues (also known as Banding) which I personally experienced on three TV's all new, eventually Samsung got fed up with me they stated " the current amount of screen uniformity I'm experiencing falls within there specifications " 

Funny thing is when I asked Samsung how they determined my Panel fell within a certain criteria for acceptance,  Samsung had no answers, I forgot to mention to them I'm an aerospace engineer. 

I'm not surprised you got a good deal has quite a few outlets are refusing to sell the 900r series models , during to problematic issues.

Regards 

Sunny

0 Likes
Hrking2000
First Poster
Options
Hi, been keeping track of this and I raised the 8k issue with people on AV forums and this is the response I got:

“looks to me like people have confused input resolution with display resolution.
The info button shows the input resolution, if this is below 8k then the TV needs to upscale it to fill the entire screen. If they only output a 4k image when it was a 4k signal only 25% of the screen would be filled.
Its similar to clicking fullscreen when watching a 480p youtube video on your phone or PC. the source is the same but now uses up more display resolution
Or watching a DVD on a 1080p screen, the source is still SD but either the player or the TV upscales to fill the screen."
0 Likes