Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 17-09-2019 04:23 PM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi @Sunny69,

No, me and the family have got a UE40JU6000... along with a couple of older non-Samsung TVs in the bedrooms.

Hopefully your 2015 Tv is going well enough for now :smiling-face:

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I am not disputing that there some customers may have issues but to say there is no upscaling on the 8K Q900  is not correct.

This is  a finding from an independent review:

"In fact, the all-new 8K AI Upscaler Samsung has created for its new 8K TV generation does an almost miraculously good job of conjuring up the tens of millions of extra pixels needed to turn HD into 8K.

For starters, the upscaling engine does a brilliant job of separating source noise (such as compression artefacts and over-enthusiastic grain) from ‘proper’ picture information. It then calculates the look of the 30 million plus extra pixels required cleverly enough to leave HD images looking sharper, more detailed, more dense and more three dimensional than they ever have before. Even on the best 4K TVs".     

It is focusing on the 85 inch model, however Av Forums were impressed with the 65 inch in their tests.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/hands-on-samsung-q900r-8k-qled-tv

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-q900r-qe65q900r-8k-qled-review.15596

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JAMES4578 wrote:

I am not disputing that there some customers may have issues but to say there is no upscaling on the 8K Q900  is not correct.

This is  a finding from an independent review:

"In fact, the all-new 8K AI Upscaler Samsung has created for its new 8K TV generation does an almost miraculously good job of conjuring up the tens of millions of extra pixels needed to turn HD into 8K.

For starters, the upscaling engine does a brilliant job of separating source noise (such as compression artefacts and over-enthusiastic grain) from ‘proper’ picture information. It then calculates the look of the 30 million plus extra pixels required cleverly enough to leave HD images looking sharper, more detailed, more dense and more three dimensional than they ever have before. Even on the best 4K TVs".     

It is focusing on the 85 inch model, however Av Forums were impressed with the 65 inch in their tests.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/hands-on-samsung-q900r-8k-qled-tv

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-q900r-qe65q900r-8k-qled-review.15596

I did have one James when it first came out on the samsung 90 day trial.

First inpressions were good but went down hill. The upscaling from SD was terrible and mainly unwatchable. My wife went and watched on on old  TV in the other room. Sky not much better, 1080p was OK, 4K looked ok.

My son said it was far to luminous and far to bright for comfort, and any subtitles were very bright. After a couple of weeks the sceduled recording function stopped working, which is a known issue with Samsung smart TV's. At the time I saw on reviews that Samsung would replace the one connect for 2.1, but they could not tell me if it was going to be free or what speck it would have, and now seeing it is limited with just one 2.1 HDMI socket, is not the best upgrade.

I already had had enough and asked to return and then the screen went like crazy paving. Samsung did collect the TV, then I had a 3 month battle to get the refund, so not inpressed  with  the TV, or Samsung support.

Now to see it van not support youtube 8K ijust shows hoiw poor they are as a company. So if you were looking forward to watching youtube 8K I don't think it will happen soon.

Paul

Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

Hi Paul 1277 

You are absolutely correct the TV is unwatchable, it's only good if the source is good, the so called A1 Upscaler is largely redundant and does not do what Samsung claim it does do.

I have just got off the phone with a customer representative from Samsung, when I said I will be going through the trades description act here in the UK about false advertising has the TV cannot upscale , she said " Samsung are a private company and do not abide by individual countries laws and I can seek all the legal advice I want " 

They are sending out an engineer to see why the picture quality is so bad.

The snooker I watched last week was certainly unwatchable I had to resort to watching it on my 6 year old Samung 8000 series TV.

0 Likes
Tonyst1974
Apprentice
Options

I’ve had all this out with Samsung and they have admitted the tv don’t upscale like it’s said in the advertising they have offered to take the tv back and give me a full refund 

0 Likes
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

@Tonyst1974 wrote:

I’ve had all this out with Samsung and they have admitted the tv don’t upscale like it’s said in the advertising they have offered to take the tv back and give me a full refund 

Hi Tony,

Can you please share more information so I too may persue the same avenue, I have tried talking to them but have been unsuccessful,  but if I have a reference number or something I can quote to them this will make it easier for them to know what I'm on about. 

If you prefer to send th information to my personal email address that's fine , any help would be appreciated. 

Sunny

0 Likes
Tonyst1974
Apprentice
Options

When you call Samsung tell them your not happy about being miss sold the tv as of there own web site and as to talk to someone higher or you will be looking at suing them over it I said this and left it at that and within 2 day they had call me back twice trying to resolve this with me 

0 Likes
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

This is interesting reading just been announced Samsung has been pulling the wool over our eyes when it comes to 8K display,  read the following 

Related: 8K TV vs 4K

LG took the first shot at the trade fair when it disparaged Samsung’s 8K TV, claiming that the display does not meet the standards set by the International Committee for Display Metrology. The company fired again when it hosted a second explanatory session for local reporters to discuss the matter.

LG Home Entertainment Research Center director Nam Ho-jun claimed that 8K TVs are required to have a set number of pixels and more than 50% contrast modulation (CM) values – a percentage that Samsung’s 8K TVs fall well short of – and stated that Samsung’s 8K TV “cannot be categorized as 8K TV in terms of resolution”.

He cited data by quality assurance companies Intertek and VDE and took the time to plug LG’s own 8K display, explaining that “LG’s 8K TVs have 90 percent CM value while [Samsung’s] one has 12 percent”.

Fortunately for Samsung, this session coincided with a TV tech conference the company was holding on that same day, giving the world’s largest TV maker ample time to respond. The company defended its 8K display, claiming that the contrast modulation is not the only key factor here.

Reading between the lines,  Samsung 8K TV is only capable of 12%

This article was done by trusted reviews by

September 18, 2019 10:56 am BST
mervinsx
Student
Options
So, I have had my OneConnect box upgraded by Sontec in Norwich. As many have said on this thread, the 50/60 frame rate upgrade is only on HDMI port 4. Also, the YouTube app does not play 8K content. Disappointed to say the least.

I will be speaking to Samsung to arrange a collection and a full refund 😞
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

Hi Mervinsx,

I fully sympathise with your disappointment,  I too am looking at going down the route of a full refund  (whether it be cash or Samsung vouchers) 

This Q900R TV is not fit for purpose,  i'm an Aerospace Engineer and if we made a product like this we would be closed down within a week, the regulators would have a field day and come put padlocks on the front gate.

How can Samsung sell this product and get away with it.....

I think it might be a good idea if we start a new thread about being duped about the non-existence of 8K capabilities on the Q900R. 

We could call it 

Q900R 8K Samsung Scam