Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

58NU7100 dark HDR scenes are too dark

(Topic created on: 02-08-2019 06:06 PM)
alexs20
Journeyman
Options

The HDR mode intends to improve dark scenes pictures, but due to the global dimming algoritm that Samsung implemented it is impossible to see HDR movies with dark scenes.
I have disabled all image post processing, switched all ECO modes, but it still dimming on dark scenes. Dаmn, its drives me crazy. Especially you can see that when you open setting menu over dark scene. You can see how it increases the light because the menu is white, but once you close it it decreaces it and again everythig is dark.

Going to return this tv.

30 REPLIES 30
alexs20
Journeyman
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
@Liorkn: You can go to Settings > Picture > Picture Mode and set this to Dynamic, or Settings > Picture > Expert Settings > Local Dimming to see if this helps.

NU7100 has no Local Dimming, it is part of NU8000 and up
And local dimming (redusing backlid on dark areas in vertical zones (as sams has no proper FALD implemented)) has nothing to do with global dimming (when tv by itself redusing backlid globbaly on scenes where 80% of scene is dark (stupid approach, interesting to know who invented that - to make darks scenes, where small details hard to see even more darker)

Liorkn
Journeyman
Options
I have local dimming on high always
0 Likes
Mattvv
Student
Options

I use the Xbox one s. Plays 4k content, and you can turn hdr off in the Xbox settings. 

0 Likes
LetMeTurnOffHDR
Pathfinder
Options
Looking for people interested on a worldwide class action lawsuit against Samsung to fox this issue and allow users to turn the ***** HDR processing off once and for all.
007bond
First Poster
Options

Hey there... recently purchased my 55QLED 2018 and yes drove me mad and was trying everything as you all have been trying. Stumbled upon the following setting GENERAL/accessibility/high contrast... turned this on and yes it accentuates to black and grey prominent menu displays but helps drastically with low bright screens set in dark to include stopping black out on end credits etc. Worked for me... hope it helps ciao ciao

LetMeTurnOffHDR
Pathfinder
Options
Thats one good thing to try, hopefully Samsung dexides to listen to their customers to fix this issue
0 Likes
Sterf97
Student
Options

I'm also interested. I have a Samsung nu7400 and when there are dark scenes I  the black is too strong! It looks dim and it's difficult to see some particulars. It's strange because for the rest is a very good Tv 

0 Likes
Liorkn
Journeyman
Options

Im interested as well. It's a shame you need a technician menu to control that 

0 Likes
LetMeTurnOffHDR
Pathfinder
Options
The tech menu doesnt even fixes it. Thats the worst part
0 Likes
Sterf97
Student
Options

I've used the solution that is on YouTube with the technical menu and now it's quite good..... Except for Amazon prime video that still seems dim and too dark...someone, who had used this ""solution"" has noticed this?

0 Likes