Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

55Q70R HDR colour space bug

(Topic created on: 11-04-2021 02:08 AM)
Jay_123456
First Poster
Options

HDR mode color space problem/bug:

The auto color space function does not seem to work. When I choose color space as auto, the color space is always chosen as selected with the custom option. For example watching Youtube HDR videos and selecting DCI-P3 colour space from custom colour space and selecting auto it will play with DCI-P3 colour space which I think is wrong because all Youtube videos are supposed to be BT.2020.

Also the default color space selection for custom was DCI-P3  which I can only presume is wrong for BT.2020 material. Also  is it normal that this DCI-P3 color space is already customized even though I just reset the TV to factory defaults (meaning the individual colors with that color space are not set red 50, green 50 and blue 50 but other values) ?

4 REPLIES 4
Pecora-Ignava
First Poster
Options

Same problem

0 Likes
ShadesN
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue...was this ever acknowledged by anyone else? 

0 Likes
ShadesN
First Poster
Options

Also switching to "native" actually shifts the colors differently depending on if you chose dci-p3 or bt2020 as color gamut while on "custom" 

0 Likes
RespectThis
First Poster
Options

I actually have a different model Samsung, I have the UN55TU8000. But I have the same issues being reported here.

I've also noticed that the color seems off. I've been watching the Olympics in 4K HDR on NBC via YouTubeTV (app on the TV). Stats for Nerds reports that the HDR Color profile is SMPTE2084(PQ)/BT2020, but t the color just looks wrong. The skin colors are pale and have a greenish hue and everything just looks off. If I go to custom and switch to DCI-P3, then use either auto or native it looks more accurate. I wish I had a colorimeter for testing.

It's worth noting that when watching HDR content, going to custom and changing the color gamut actually affects the native and auto colors as well. It's as if changing the gamut under custom is then affecting the color in native and auto modes accordingly. Like they're just tweaks made to whatever gamut you select under custom.

I have a feeling this will not be addressed by Samsung, despite the fact that it appears to be a software wide issue and not TV specific. It certainly would be nice if they did though. Honestly ready to just switch to an LG OLED.

0 Likes