Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50" TU8500 TV and Amazon Prime - loud music and muffled dialogues

(Topic created on: 06-12-2020 06:08 PM)
flyinglizard
Explorer
Options

We have 50" TU8500 TV for about a month. Use it for watching movies from streaming services and home NAS. All was good until we tried watch another film from Amazon Prime yesterday. We got amplified music and background sound and very quiet muffled dialogues. No sound bar, native TV speakers. 

When watching the same film from a browser on a laptop via HDMI, dialogues are crisp and clear. 

We noticed this so far on a specific Amazon Prime title: "Mary and Max". Other Prime films don't have this problem. 

I googled a lot and understand now that the problem is most likely with either the TV or Samsung's Amazon Prime app incorrectly detecting the sound channels and squeezing possibly 5.1 sound into the TV's stereo speakers. There is a lot of advice online recommending to change settings to 2.1 or Stereo, but none of this seems to be possible here: I could not find any relevant options in either TV or the Prime app settings. 

To be honest, I don't have much hope to find a solution for this and am inclined to try Amazon Fire Stick or something similar instead and stop using Samsung apps. But it does not look right that I had to effectively pay for all the Samsung software that comes with the TV and cannot use it for the most basic of the services. Does anyone know if a solution exists or if either Amazon or Samsung have plans for a fix?

2 REPLIES 2
Lview770
Student
Options

I have experienced the same issue and not just with Prime but also Netflix. I have a Fire Stick but have the same problem even so. When I change to another sound channel, the problem goes away. Of course, then you don't have the advantages of supposedly superior 5.1 sound 

0 Likes
flyinglizard
Explorer
Options

@Lview770 where do you change the sound channel? In the TV settings or in Prime Video?

I don't think I saw a way to change the channel anywhere. To be clear: my sound plays on the built-in TV speakers, no external sound bar. 

0 Likes