Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K Q90R - One connect box 100mbit only??

(Topic created on: 09-09-2019 09:04 AM)
GD_Dal
First Poster
Options

I just found out that the one connect box on my brand new high end tv only connects with 100mbit ethernet?

I found out when trying to use Steam link on the TV, just to experience a stuttering and unplayable game. Did a little research and found out that the available bandwidth was maxed out. On 100mbit.

Please tell my one connect box is broken.

I didn't even know it was possible to buy 100mbit equipment anymore.

At least not i a $5500 high end TV

37 REPLIES 37
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Unfortunately you box is not broken, and yes TV manufactureres LG, Samsung, ... are very cheap, and no longer invest in quality components for network connections. Nowadays its very hard to find a "Smart TV" that has gigabit ethernet. A paradox in itself. I cant seem to justify their logic behind it :S

My Q6FN, which is a lot cheaper than your Q900R, also has a 100 Mbit wired connection, while 2.4 / 5 GHz wireless can achieve higher link speeds than that. Luckily I already had 5 GHz wireless, but needless to say that I was also disappointed to find out that was my only option.

Playing high bitrate BR remuxes over the wired interface is not going to happen. Not to mention that DTS or any other high quality BR codecs are NOT natively supported, so you MUST transcode your audio (to AC-3) if you are not using any AV receivers.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Mirko_Brand wrote:

Unfortunately you box is not broken, and yes TV manufactureres LG, Samsung, ... are very cheap, and no longer invest in quality components for network connections. Nowadays its very hard to find a "Smart TV" that has gigabit ethernet. A paradox in itself. I cant seem to justify their logic behind it :S

My Q6FN, which is a lot cheaper than your Q900R, also has a 100 Mbit wired connection, while 2.4 / 5 GHz wireless can achieve higher link speeds than that. Luckily I already had 5 GHz wireless, but needless to say that I was also disappointed to find out that was my only option.

Playing high bitrate BR remuxes over the wired interface is not going to happen. Not to mention that DTS or any other high quality BR codecs are NOT natively supported, so you MUST transcode your audio (to AC-3) if you are not using any AV receivers.

So you high end very expensive tv, is not that much better than a mid type tv, is that the jest. In fact does Hisense support DTX, it actually does, and Dolby vision, which Samsung do not. 

Just a thought. 

Paul

0 Likes
Sebastianer
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for this post. I was trying to find out how to increase network speed in my Samsung TV (NU7400)

With wifi I get 150Mbps Download and 60Mbps Upload

With wire LAN cable I only get 95Mbps DL / 95Mbps Upload 

In Speedtest.net (I have 600/600Mbps at home in Spain). 

However, I'm going to leave the ethernet enabled because I want to mimise the network frequencies arround. I have the router (Google WiFi) below the Samsung TV and I use Bluetooth a lot with BT headsets connected to the TV.

Also. I think with wired, Plex works better. Today I was trying to stream a Samsung 4K 60FPS HDR (51000 bit rate) demo and I think with WiFi I was getting issues while forwarding, etc. But with wired, so far so good.

Offtopic: 

There are some things I don't like from Samsung TV that I'll definitely consider when upgrading to 8K in the future or a VRR high refresh rate TV. (Because now that I got a 1440k 144Hz VRR monitor I completely stopped using my 4K 60Hz TV for gaming, unless a game is capped to 60FPS, which would make more sense to use the TV). 

I leave this as a feedback for Samsung and other users: 

- No Gigalan support. Only 100Mbps LAN max --> this is impossible in 2020

- No analog AUX output --> I use studio monitors with my TV and I had to use an HDMI_ARC cheap DAC to convert Digital to Analog from the TV, without loosing Volume control from the Samsung Remote

- TOSLINK volume can't be controlled (TOSLINK volume can be controlled in Windows 10 but not with a Samsung TV).

- Software is quite slow and full of bloatware, but at least I could install Plex.

Display quality is really good tough. But those things above are really disadvantages to me. 

RosieGr
Apprentice
Options

I was also quite disappointed to see sub 100mbps ethernet speeds on my Q70. I have a 1 gig Verizon Fios connection and was quite let-down to see a fraction of that, espectially on a 4k TV- which uses more bandwidth than anything else on my network.  The best I can acheive on fast.com is around 94mbps. So, as a result, I will either downgrade my internet package or find a TV with gigabit ethernet.  The former is more likely. 

When the same cat5e ethernet cable is plugged from the Q70 to my old PC, my speed is amout 935mbps. What a waste. Even with a Netflix 4k movies, in instances, I see the picutre blur and get sharp again as if the connection is having trouble at times OR it's Netflix' fault. Although I've never seen a a 4k stream just stop to buffer.

My question is: At what WIFI speed, given it's shortcomings, latency, etc, would be worth switching from a 95mbps ethernet connection to WIFI? (Haven't tried the Q70 on wifi but my old S5 cellphone gets about 250mbps.) Thanks.

Sebastianer
Journeyman
Options

Probably the newer WiFi standards are much better and recommended over the 25 year old "Fast ethernet" 100Mbps network interface, like the one installed in the Samsung TVs 

However in my case I haven't noticed a big difference in Speedtest.net. 

So because I want to reduce any wireless congestion at home. Every device that is close to the router and has an Ethernet cable, I'll just prefer this over wifi. 

To me wired is always better. 

You don't need more than 95Mbps nowadays. But I don't know, maybe doing some crazy stuff with LAN, etc it is needed. but no idea. 

My TV is not 8K so I'll never stream 8K 60FPS content and stuff like that. 

But yeah, this is not an excuse for Samsung to use a 1995 LAN Speed in moderns TVs

RosieGr
Apprentice
Options

Thanks. I also don't like to use WIFI either because we have many devices. But I'm going to try our Q70 on our 5ghz network and see how it performs compared to the 94 mbps ethernet. (Speedtest is one thing, but real world performance is another.) Our TV is in close proximity the router and almost in direct line of sight in an ajacent room 5 meters away.  I'll let you know.

0 Likes
freeordie0
First Poster
Options

My tv is a bit older, but I'm dealing with the same...surprise. I just went through the hassle of buying wire fish tape, fishing Ethernet up a wall, etc etc, which for some pesy but for me was a huge pia. 

THEN, I went through the whole rigamaroow to convert an old gigabit router into an access point...only to sit and wonder why my tv connection light only showed a 100mbps link. 

Thing is...I didn't know this yesterday, when I had the line plugged in directly to the tv...and my connection was better, more consistent than wifi. My 5ghz connection from my basement has always been choppy and my 2.4ghz usually worked fine even with 4k but sometimes...it just failed.  

The 100mbps has been solid...for 24 hours anyways. I haven't noticed degredation and I was getting over 125mbps via WiFi before, and things seem better. 

0 Likes
NickMcName
Apprentice
Options

Truly shocked by this. Just found out on my end too from my router... 100Mbps and I thought the problem was a cable one, maybe a poor cable was not allowing a negotiation better than 100Mbps.

I looked in the manual to see any details on it and there is nothing, no specification noted anywhere from what I can tell. The manual recommended to use CAT7 STP which is basically non-existent where I live and so completely overkill considering that CAT5.E has been compatible with 1Gbps for a LONG long time...

Currently I jump between a CAT6 and 6E cable which are designed at their base for 1Gbps and no change, so yeah, it's a Samsung decision to go with such a ridiculously slow standard... How, after 19 years of a 1Gbps standard being in place (5e was certified in 2001) could this be possibly expensive for them to implement - the network chip and the port for 1Gbps are unblievably cheap and with Samsungs buying power this should be as likely an issue as me finding oxygen to breathe an issue. Mind boggling on a 4K set which consumes easily the 100Mbps given for your average 4K title plus surround channels. 

Kev-Mt
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Just found this thread, I too  was struggling to watch 4K video from my nas on a new tv (Q75Q90R) using the Plex app. The playback was stuttering with a torn picture and sound drop outs.

Tried everything I could think of including eventually building a new media computer (with 4k video) to put my Plex server  on but not a bit of difference, no I tell a lie, the menu searching was dramaticaly improved but the stuttering continued.

I could play 4K video via the computer and watch 4K you-tube natively but the plex app would not stream 4k which really confused me.

I never suspected that the wired ethernet connection on the one connect box would be the bottle neck. After a fair bit of internet searching I came across a web site from 2015 where somebody was complaining about the speed of Samsungs wired ethernet connections, I though that's never it, a 2020 flagship tv being strangled by an obsolete standard but sure enough connecting via  wifi resulted in buttery smooth video playback via my Plex server and the TV's Plex app, the only problems I have come across is if you search the video or do anthing to interupt the playback it takes time to restart. Just a guess but could it be filling up some sort of buffer?.

Sometimes you can feel a right pi**ock can't you!

Here's a bit of a surprise I reconnected my old computer (the non 4k one) with the old Plex server on it and you guessed it, it works perfectly,  4k video streams without problems just bit slower on the menu searches which is to be expected.

At least I've got a shiney new computer for my office.

0 Likes