Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K from BBC IPlayer

(Topic created on: 27-12-2021 10:05 AM)
dnpark38
First Poster
Options

I'm thinking of a Samsung QE75Q80A TV to replace my UE55HU7500 as it does not get the better quality definition BBC iPlayer

Looking at the list of Samsung on BBC iPlayer list it is not compatible have you this new set does it not work 4K iPlayer?

I do not want to jump from frying pan into the fire.  I do feel let down by Samson no longer supporting my 5 year old TV.

( It won't display Ch Five player correctly either.)

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It's not Samsung who abandoned your TV, they don't have control over the apps and services. They are controlled by BBC and Channel 5 respectively. Standards change and unfortunately old sets do get left behind because the processing hardware they contain is not compliant with the newer code base and/or streaming methods and DRM. It's better to use a 4K Chromecast or Fire stick which both support the UK broadcaster apps. Then you don't need to buy a new TV if you are happy with all other features still
0 Likes
dnpark38
First Poster
Options

Yes I understand that as regards my present set upsetting as it is but this 2021 model of Samsung should surely work the broadcasters systems as they are now and I should not have to buy and/or subscribe to other units.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
No but you will end up in the same situation in a few years time. A plugin device gives more freedom of choice and longevity regardless of which TV you decide to have going forward. I don't subscribe to use my Chromecast, plus anything can be streamed to it from phone, tablet or PC ( not just catch-up services, Netflix or YouTube)
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It is the BBC that make the app so it is up to them, not Samsung, whether it's supported.
0 Likes
dnpark38
First Poster
Options

Well thanks for your responses in addition I've asked Samsung for help and it's like pulling teeth.

I've ended with no really positive answer and the BBC say it is a long ongoing trial with only a small amount of 4K/UHD content and no end of trials in sight.    So I've concluded to ignore if my consideration of this new iPlayer feature.

So now to consider using a 75" or 65" from the QE**Q80A range.

0 Likes
amidre
Apprentice
Options

A plugin device provides you more flexibility and lifespan, regardless of the TV you choose in the future. however, It is the BBC that makes the app, so it is up to them, not Samsung, so you need to complain BBC

0 Likes
dnpark38
First Poster
Options

Both I have concluded as they need to work together on things like this.

Anyway bought the new Samsung Q75Q80AA nice pictures and happy with it.  Was tuned to BBC One last night and at 9pm The Tourist came on, a caption appeared telling me the Press Red button for UHD via iPlayer.

Thank you and the others for responses.

0 Likes
dnpark38
First Poster
Options

Now when I use BBC iPlayer to watch a program I find they are marking some programs such as the SAS serial as UHD.

The quality of picture is horrible!

On Netflix UHD is perfect.

0 Likes