Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED with various issues including local dimming and vertical banding.

(Topic created on: 20-10-2020 08:22 PM)
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I’m starting this thread because various issues have been mentioned with QLEDs but I’m finding it difficult to find the relevant threads.

After update 1402, my Q85T is better but has some issues.

1. Local dimming when subtitles are on is dreadful. Half the screen lights up. Others say game mode dimming is poor. 
  2. I have vertical banding on light greys in HDR mode. Others have mentioned this being visible on xbox Home Screen. Big dark bands go up the screen and it’s really awful viewing. 
  3. Others have said that the brightness when using VRR on Xbox is far too dull. This is a worry for next gen consoles. 
  4. Sadly, some have said the dimming game mode bug is still there (I’ve yet to see this since the update).

Ultimately, I’m pretty disappointed in Samsung and the various issues with these TVs. Can someone please advise the tech team? @AntS 

12 REPLIES 12
AZGreg
Explorer
Options

Agreed. I get the vertical scrolling lines on game mode with game motion plus turned off.

I also get overly dark picture when using VRR.

All on Xbox One X.

daparky
Pathfinder
Options

I'm waiting for the 2021 models. Samsung need to sort these issues out before the 2021 models are released otherwise you will be abandoned just like 2019 models.

0 Likes
Masq
Navigator
Options

Giving up on Samsung. Paid nearly $3000 for a Q8FN 2 years ago (which replaced a Samsung KS8000 that died after 2 years)... nothing but problems. Went through multiple panels with various issues from Nov ‘18 - May ‘19.
 Samsung did get me a semi-acceptable one eventually (after threatening a lawsuit), but even this one still has really bad DSE and gray bars.

Ended up buying another TV in Jun ‘19 because I was so disgusted, Sony X900F for my Game Room. That’s been my primary gaming TV since. No weird issues, no DSE, no gray bars, and $1000 less than the Q8FN. Granted, it’s a lower tier TV. 

So this week I start using the Q8FN again in anticipation of the PS5 & Series X, which will be set-up in my living room. Had almost forgotten about their garbage firmware that completely destroyed Game Mode. Lower backlight output, broken Local Dimming, HDR in Game mode is garbage. 

My guess is that they purposely do downgrades w/firmware “updates” because they think people are willing to buy new TVs every 1-2 years like cell phones now. Disgusting.

So I’m sitting here researching which TV to replace the the Q8FN with, finally wash my hands of it.

early options are LG CX and Sony X900H

Leaning towards the Sony

/end rant

daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Any updates on this?

0 Likes
darkmantom
Pioneer
Options

I just tried this fix i found and now my subtitles are super good, they don't bright up half the screen anymore.

I tested it with various series and movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bl07YPd-Q&feature=youtu.be

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Does it fix game mode?

0 Likes
darkmantom
Pioneer
Options

I don't game on this tv, i have another one (Sony) for that, so i can't test that for you.

0 Likes
Panos91
Apprentice
Options

Few days ago I buy q90t..

I'm disappointed, when I play ps4 pro in game mode the game look like I play in 720p solutions... The sharp of this TV is a mess, and generally the picture quality is a mess In game mode,I see some soft line in background to go from down to up in panel... When I disable game mode this soft line don't exist,,, I testing the TV in YouTube app from TV the picture quality is great... But when going to play videos games I'm very disappointed... My old 4k TV Samsung mu6400 have better image quality in game mode... I waste my money for no reason 

0 Likes
peterQ95T
Explorer
Options

I have the Q95T 65 inch Eurpean model with latest Firmware 1403.1 and still have big issues with local dimming and subtitles. Still no fix from Samsung thats very bad.