Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 10-05-2020 11:59 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Suriya
Voyager
Options

Ok then you just ignore my msgs and live happy. 

ChrisM says samsung will not accept/approve publicly.

Thanks

0 Likes
Q95T
Journeyman
Options

Ive got same problem Q95T picture dimming and subtitles randomly all eco mods off, i call samsung and they dont give me right answer noobs on support

0 Likes
De-mon
Explorer
Options

I want to thank your messages. Any news/rumor is better than nothing.

Obviously all buyers are angry with the null official information from Samsung and we want to see the update as soon as possible. All of this leads to frustration and Samsung will lose customers, more the longer they take to fix it. I will recommend other products/brands after this experience. This is a device of almost 2000 $/€. Not 50, not 100, 2000. At the very least you expect it to work as promised.

0 Likes
Maverick2
First Poster
Options

I have a TU8000 and it has problems with hdr and game mode using latest version 1304, looks like samsung doesn’t care about their customers so, I’ll call them and ask for a fix or a refund. What a joke buying a TV to use it 3 or 4 months later because samsung can make their products work properly out of factory.

0 Likes
Soccercrazy1
Pioneer
Options

I just got my q90t yesterday. First of all I do not have a problem with this bug. My set just dims in standard mode after a few seconds which is worse. I did get this tv primarily for gaming. 

First of all. Has the local dimming in game mode always been this bad. The local dimming performance in game mode is basically non existent. Just loading up call of duty warzone or gears 5 lights up the entire screen. I never ever see anything near black. The blooming is visible even with the lights on. I tried to put it out of game mode and that's when I realized that blooming is basically gone. That is what I expected the performance of game mode local dimming to be. 

Here's what angers me most of all. I had a c7 OLED that burned in and I replaced it withthe q90t. Before that exchange I got a Sony 900h in another room for gaming. The Sony in game mode has minimal blooming. It is visible but only in pitch black room. So when we saw the 900h compared to the c7, we said that the little bloom visible in game mode is worth it considering the sonys color and brightness. So at that point we figured the q90t would be the perfect replacement because it will have less blooming and more brightness than the Sony. 

So I want to know, is the local dimming performance of the q90t always been like this in game mode or was it ruined in the last update?

0 Likes
Q95T
Journeyman
Options

Samsung where are you ? where is update for my Q95T 65", i can't watch Money Heist like normal people, some scene is dimmed with subtitle , some is bright, anoying! i pay TV more than 2500euros wtf!  should i return you TV ? People what is happening here i see by post this bug is here few months and Samsung is not responding.

Ganzah88
First Poster
Options

You can now add Samsung Q70R  to the list.
I've had this TV for 2 months now, and I have basically the exact problem people describe with darker/dimmed screen when turning on/using HDR, but in my case not on console with gaming mode (have no console yet) but through my desktop-PC.

By changing the picture mode back and forth the problem goes away for a few seconds then slowly go dimmer. This process take maybe 30 seconds from the time you change the settings.
I've had these issues with the brightness/dimming of the screen, for example when trying to reach the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del the brightness goes down really fast then back up to normal within few seconds after. Many instances like this one where the brightness, dimming acting up.

Hope it can be fixed by an update, if at all.

Software Update: 1361

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

Is yours happening in game mode HDR with all eco settings off? Also, do you have GMO on or off? With GMP on the issue doesn’t happen, but it by default dims the screen. So you’re not even getting the TVs full brightness. That’s what I’ve ended up resorting to and it’s kind of a bummer. I just want the issue to be fixed. I feel like the issue isn’t *too* hard to fix and for a $2500 tv it shouldn’t be an issue in the first place. 

0 Likes
Maverick2
First Poster
Options

I have that problem too in my TU8000, issues with dimm and brightness to the point detail is lost, sadly when I called samsung they said that it was a normal behaviour and that I have to enable game mode manually same with hdr. I think they are not planning to fix this because for them is not an issue.

0 Likes
Giman43
First Poster
Options

It has been happening since 2017 when I bought my QC7.  I just deal with it. 

0 Likes