Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 10-05-2020 11:59 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I can try GM later but I don't have VRR compatible device (well PS5 but it's not compatible yet!)

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Not yet in Belgium (neither via tv nor on the site)... I guess it's just a matter of days (maybe hours...)

If anyone with these issues and access to the new firmware can comment on any changes, it would be great :

• purple ghosting
  • bad local dimming in Game Mode
  • scanlines in Game Mode
0 Likes
cragcrag
Apprentice
Options

Where in Belgium did you purchase your TV from?

I'm in Belgium too so hopefully it's in EU soon. It isn't on the website.

A little transparency would be nice.

0 Likes
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

1460 is not available yet in Bulgaria (EU), it is not even on the site.

Parameter
Journeyman
Options

new firmware not in the downloads section of the Samsung site.....still shows 1403.1....

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

I bought it from the Fnac website back in July (but from a third party seller named FNAC Belgium... yeah, a bit sketchy, I know).

And it has been a headache, customer service of both Fnac and Samsung have been terrible (Samsung even more so, at least with Fnac I got a few people that were trying to be helpful). While I understand a random customer rep on the phone not knowing anything about tv repairs, transparency would be appreciated. The fact that I wasn't even given a case number to follow the repair of my tv was weird and worrying, since I had to call them every time (meaning between 15 and 30 minutes of waiting, and then having to go through someone different most of the time who, evidently, didn't know anything about the situation...), and their declarations were inconsistent and not reassuring.

Samsung was even worse, since after a month of contacts via phone and WhatApp, they plain and simply refused to send a tech to check my tv because "remote picture test came up ok". Even after going through twitter and forcing them to patch me to a repair company, the company just asked for my issues (because Samsung didn't transfer them) and then the company asked Samsung what they thought about it. The repair status on their site is still showing "Manufacturer calls customer" since 12/11... but no calls from Samsung of course. 

Samsung has lost a customer in me. I'll manage as best as I can with my current tv as my personal situation right now will prevent me to pack/unpack a 30kg tv again and again, but it is the last time I'll touch anything Samsung. Customer service, especially with premium products, is paramount and they should know better.

As for Fnac, I'll be very wary in the future if : 1) I want to buy something big like a tv or a computer / 2) I have to go through a 3rd party seller (even one called FNAC Belgium...)

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

I bought it from the Fnac website back in July (but from a third party seller named FNAC Belgium... yeah, a bit sketchy, I know).

And it has been a headache, customer service of both Fnac and Samsung have been terrible (Samsung even more so, at least with Fnac I got a few people that were trying to be helpful). While I understand a random customer rep on the phone not knowing anything about tv repairs, transparency would be appreciated. The fact that I wasn't even given a case number to follow the repair of my tv was weird and worrying, since I had to call them every time (meaning between 15 and 30 minutes of waiting, and then having to go through someone different most of the time who, evidently, didn't know anything about the situation...), and their declarations were inconsistent and not reassuring.

Samsung was even worse, since after a month of contacts via phone and WhatApp, they plain and simply refused to send a tech to check my tv because "remote picture test came up ok". Even after going through twitter and forcing them to patch me to a repair company, the company just asked for my issues (because Samsung didn't transfer them) and then the company asked Samsung what they thought about it. The repair status on their site is still showing "Manufacturer calls customer" since 12/11... but no calls from Samsung of course. 

Samsung has lost a customer in me. I'll manage as best as I can with my current tv as my personal situation right now will prevent me to pack/unpack a 30kg tv again and again, but it is the last time I'll touch anything Samsung. Customer service, especially with premium products, is paramount and they should know better.

As for Fnac, I'll be very wary in the future if : 1) I want to buy something big like a tv or a computer / 2) I have to go through a 3rd party seller (even one called FNAC Belgium...)

0 Likes
GD_UK_2020
First Poster
Options

1460.9 is available on the US Download site - details here:

- Model : Q950T, Q900T, Q850T, Q800T, Q90T, Q80T, Q8DT, Q70T, Q7DT, LS03T, LS01T

- Version : 1460.9
- Improved usability 1. Improved picture quality 2. Improved browser performance 3. Improved app performance 4. Improved stability 5. Improved usability of input devices

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

0 Likes
Toejo78
Navigator
Options

Nice, expect February at the earliest for the EU firmware then.

0 Likes
Charlyiii
Student
Options

Really? 

0 Likes