Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 10-05-2020 11:59 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
ad1994
Pioneer
Options

I think we're being naive in thinking Samsung won't be looking to patch these issues. The new consoles have only just came out and there was a quick fix in anticipation of this to fix 120hz issues. We're almost in a beta in terms of current experience, which is frustrating but they have likely been waiting for the new consoles to raise issues then fix them in one swoop.

I'd anticipate an update within the next month looking to get these issues sorted out for the Q90T and for the next iteration. 

0 Likes
Toejo78
Navigator
Options

They need to get a move on leaving customers with things like this though. Just not good enough when a £200 supermarket TV offers a better image.

https://youtu.be/rb_8JIQYkIc

SidL
Pathfinder
Options

We are actually naive to think that they will fix these problems because of the new consoles. I bought this TV in the middle of the year for the PS5, and since then this TV is full of problems! The GAME MODE of this TV is terrible, a shame, it has been 6 months since I bought it and the local dimming in GAME MODE with GMP DISABLED HAS NOT BEEN FIXED. I got this model JUSTLY because of that, and it's the worst thing on this TV!!! 😤😤😡😡😡

daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Local dimming won't be improved in game mode because it will add input lag. That's why input lag is so low because something had to give. Unfortunately it was local dimming that gave way.

0 Likes
jexx
Journeyman
Options

The auto dimming is happening with game mode OFF. I can only use this TV with game mode OFF because otherwise it looks just...incredibly bad. Might be defective. Best Buy has offered to swap. Game Mode looks like total *****.

0 Likes
AzazelPL
Explorer
Options

Daparky, how is your X950H doing? I pm'ed you about it but no reply. I have Q90T and I am tired of fighting with settings for dark games like RE3 or Daymare 1998 to look good. Blooming is insane and it crush blacks. Dimming not working at all with GMP off and you get skanlines. With GMP on dimming works a bit better but purple ghosting is on dark objects when you move game camera.🤢

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

News update, after a few weeks of talking to them almost everyday since they couldn't give me any kind of coherent answer as to what was happening to the tv they took back from me, my retailer informed me the tv will be delivered to me next Tuesday (I had the purple ghosting, terrible judder, bad dimming in Game Mode and the scanlines, yep the whole team together).

But I'm not confident my tv is going to come back fixed, for these reasons :

- the retailer "can't" tell me anything about the repair process because...

- they sent the tv to Samsung to be checked and fixed (so they didn't do it themselves)

- when I was talking with Samsung's reps and techs on the phone on WhatsApp and Twitter, in the months before I managed to have my retailer take back the tv, they always refused to acknowledge my issues, even when confronted with video evidence

- so I have no confidence that what they did to "fix" the panel will have had any effect whatsoever, since my issues are not officially acknowledged by Samsung.

I just have to hope that I got lucky and that my tv went to the one guy at Samsung that loves his jobs and is a gamer too, and who decided to do his job correctly and actually fix the customer's issues, and not just do the minimum expected by his company...

We'll see, fingers crossed, but ***** what a headache it has been in the 5 months I've had this tv, frankly, if the LG CX didn't have risk of burn-in or the Sony X900H was even just a bit better in general (especially the brightness), I would have pushed for a complete refund and would have crossed Samsung from the list of company I'd wish to work with in the future. But right now, the best and only optimal choice (at least relative to specs) for next gen gaming is the Q90/95T... This is why competition is important!

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

Sorry, I will reply to it now.

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

That doesn't make any sense to me. Because if GMP is ON the local dimming works normally, but GMP ON sucks. Because before the 1304 update, local dimming worked. And I had a Q70r from 2019 and the LD of it worked perfectly with the GMP OFF and the response time of the Q70r and Q95T is the same *****, you don't notice the difference maybe only Seiya could see 😡😤

0 Likes
Iskandarkebab
Pioneer
Options

Its superweird. Ive being not having the issue since the 1402. And now, suddenly, while watching the boys season 2 on Amazon Prime, its back again. It dimmed a lot like 3 or 4 times during the same episode. It didnt happened with season 1, and its happening in season 2. Both make use of HDR 10+, so Im very Lost about what is the reason of the dimming. But as I see it depends on the "format" of the media you are reproducing. There may be some differences  on the format from season 1 to season 2 to make It happen in one of them, and not happening in the other...

0 Likes