Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 03-05-2021 04:37 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Budolf
Apprentice
Options

Nope. Not on mine anyway.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Frmware 2010.3 should be available soon for 2020 models and the changelog states that dimming bug is fixed in game mode, though  I did see a post on German community that someone who installed it still has issues.

• Fixed a bug where "bubbling" sound could occur at low volume.
  • A bug in the display of Disney + subtitles has been fixed.
  • The Q700T now supports 8K @ 60p
  • A remote control bug in ambient mode has been fixed.
  • The "dimming problem" in game mode has been fixed.
  • A bug in the Q80T that could lead to high-frequency noise has been fixed.
  • Third party compatibility has been improved.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
HWen
First Poster
Options

Hi, 

I am Looking for  Q95T information about HDR and Game mode problem . Also, Local Dimming Problem and 120hz PWM Problem

1. Under Game mode  situation, the Q95T still have low PWM problem(horrible 120hz)?

2. Does Q95T firmware fixed HDR problem (Auto-Dim after 6 Minutes) ? I do not see any updated info on the topic list. 

Hope somebody can give us mor information 

0 Likes
MrDanteZ
Apprentice
Options

Hey,

about your first question, I havent noticed anything with the PWM, only if I enable Led Clear Motion in Game Motion Plus it flickers. The HDR dimming bug is not fixed, but for me its not present in built in apps and game mode. I cant connect my PS5 or blue ray player out of game mode though cause it happens.

Im on 1497 firmware by the way

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

And the big problem of local dimming not working in game mode with GMP OFF? Nothing???

0 Likes
DSchaf
Student
Options

How come this problem is still not fixed after 1 year?!

My Q90t (firmware 1497) is showing the exact same issue (when in gaming mode). What a disgrace for Samsung. Guess who's products I will never buy, or recommend to anyone, ever again?

SidL
Pathfinder
Options

Does anyone have information about the new firmware (2014)?

0 Likes
galactus75
First Poster
Options

Some people at avsforum tested 2014 and reports that game mode works great.

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

I did some testing yesterday and local dimming with Game Mode OFF has been a good improvement, but it's still not working as it should be.

galactus75
First Poster
Options

That's a shame. Where did you find the EU firmware?

0 Likes