Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 04-04-2021 09:06 AM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

It's Movie mode and not FILMMAKER, right?

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

and local dimming in game mode with GMP off, is it good or is it disabled as in 2020 models?

0 Likes
MrDanteZ
Apprentice
Options

Edit: Dimming Bug is not completely fixed, still happens randomly but rarely, about 1 time per 2 hours of gaming

0 Likes
amenadiel
Pioneer
Options

I still have this error. is it the basis for the complaint?

0 Likes
MrBourne1
Apprentice
Options

We need hgig on the 2019 models  I wish I never bought a qled now what a mistake my 2016 LG was better than this 

0 Likes
Stu123
Apprentice
Options

0 Likes
DimmingLocally
First Poster
Options

Hi, here. I have q80t 55' 1497.1 . I've been messing around with dim problem during last week. The movie mode is looking quite good for films, but the games on ps5 is worst thing I've ever saw. Currently I'm testing various settings from service menu and from regular one on Evil within 2(great soft for samsung dimming "feature" ). The best setting I've reached is to enable the Game mode and stay the Game Motion Plus on (without any blurr and judder denoisers enabled), contrast enhancer - High, Local Dimming - Standart. The image looks good even in dark places with it, and dimming quite gentle with this settings, it almost unnoticed(as it should be all the time) . I'll attach 2 photos - the difference is only in game motion plus option(lighter one GMP is enabled). There is total darkness on the screen.

BTW I have no Idea why GMP is affects the correct way of performing dimming.

Mb it helps someone. 

20210421_232757.jpg

20210421_232401.jpg

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

THE BIG PROBLEM of enable GMP is the ghosting that comes with it. GMP is very bad, but if you disable it, local dimming is practically disabled. I don't know why samsung simply doesn't leave an option for local dimming to work at 100% with GMP OFF, be damned if the input lag increases by 5ms, who cares ?! Anyone who wants low input lag will play on "gamer" monitors.

0 Likes
Budolf
Apprentice
Options

I don’t get ghosting on my Q90t with GMP on.  I think its great! The only downside is that it increases the input lag a bit. 

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

The difference in input lag with GMP ON is practically imperceptible, but yes, there is a lot of ghosting with GMP

0 Likes