Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 23-12-2020 06:54 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Same here. I have lost all confidence in Samsung after my 2nd product (the 1st was a soundbar on sale from 6 years ago, never got a problem). But for a "premium" experience, we are far from it.

I would accept getting a faulty panel. It happens, it sucks for everyone involved (but especially the customer), but hey, it's not the end of the world.

But these are not normal :

- Samsung actively refusing to send a tech to check on the tv just based on their remote picture diagnostic test

- then Samsung agreeing to send a tech, but then actively stopping the service company to send one because everything is "normal" and "within specs" (even with video evidence of the contrary)

- Samsung finally replacing the screen and motherboard of the tv when it's sent to them by the seller, but the returned tv does still present exactly the same issues

- at last Samsung not acknowledging any issues with the tv or the repair process, and still trying to put the blame on the "sources"

- and of course Samsung not saying anything official about the issues with their 2020 Qled and hiding the firmware update logs from the customers

Their tvs are broken and they know it, they don't do anything about it and won't, and are actively trying to not fulfill their engagements to the customers that bought them.

The moment I manage to get my money back (even if I have to legal on this), I will not touch any Samsung product again, however good it may potentially be...

Suhorukow
Explorer
Options

Hello dear friends. Q95t 55" here. With love from Russia. 

I can try to help you ." 6 min" bug  fixing - u must off screen protector in system setting.   For it work 

Now about ld. Yes. In game mode it doesn't work. Only 1way to play here - turn black hdmi lvl to low. And ce to high. 

lmpcardoso
Pioneer
Options

For me it’s the end, I have sold my Q80T. 
I’m buying a Sony or LG.
Samsung, never again. 
It’s a shame because on paper this TVs are awesome, but in the reality they have a lot of problems.
And I’m tired of the promises of the next software updates, that normally solves nothing...

I’m tired of the issues, that I don’t expect to have when I buy a premium TV. 
Shame on you Samsung. Because what you are doing is trick people with your mediocre products with premium price. 
Even last year “R” line have the same issues of this year line, issues that are not solved yet. So keep your expectations low because I doubt they will solve all the issues and if they will, it’s not anytime soon, maybe a year from now... or 5.
That’s it, I’m done with Samsung. 

Tiayeahdude
Journeyman
Options
My q80t doesn't have the dimming bug With xbox one x, how can I play it back to see if it suffers?
0 Likes
Charlyiii
Student
Options

Really this fix It? It is true, i am surprised with that a easy solution and nobody of Samsung havent can help us, lol.

Thank you for the tip, i Will try It.

0 Likes
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

Do you mean the Auto power off setting in the General > ECO ?

0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

I don't have DSE or ghosting some units may have those problems. Once i replaced for purple tinting and the second one is even better there is no purple tinting anymore. So far these two units are excellent apart from this ineffective game-mode local dimming. Gamemode Local dimming worked on firmware 1112 after the newer updates it is getting worse.

0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

If samsung wants to see your problems and get alarming attention go to the product page in samsung website and give 1 star rating with all the problems in detail (just copy paste your own post from this forum). see what will happen after just 10 - 20 comments there... Trust me

0 Likes
Charlyiii
Student
Options

No, must off screen protector in system setting. 

0 Likes
peterQ95T
Explorer
Options

I have done  that @Suriya and what did you think happend?....... Samsung didnt post my rating.