Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 12-12-2020 08:24 AM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Snir4
Journeyman
Options

Hi I downloaded the update I opened it in the usb folder on the TV she manages to find and identify it I click on update now and at the end after 99% it impresses me the update failed !!! Anyone know why?

0 Likes
Iskandarkebab
Pioneer
Options

Just got a ps5 and looks really good with my Q95T. But when i turn muy console on i usually have to soft reset the TV because audio doesnt work or TV doesnt detect Signal from the ps5. When i soft reset It works fine. Does anyone had this problem?

Seems to be some HDMI compatibilty issue...

0 Likes
PeterHu
Explorer
Options

Belgium, 65Q90T XXN, Today I updated to the latest 

• ver 1460.9
  • 1603.25 MB
  • Dec 08. 2020

I wish I would have not done it. I purchased the TV around Black Friday and the only problem I had was that at HDR content the subtitles messed up the local dimming on the entire screen (got darker as long as the subtitle was present), 1403.1 Firmware. Now, after update, subtitles still wrong, but additionally the local dimming bug appeared in HDR content after 6 mins (brigthness drops and changes back only of you go to local dimming settings and change to low and back to standard/high, then you have 6 mins again). It is very annoying. I wish it would be possible to downgrade back. I'm afraid there won't be a new Firmware update for a while. If not, I'll ask to change the product after the Holidays.

0 Likes
Superdooper
Journeyman
Options

I had the same problem with old firmware 1403. Im annoyed at 6min dim bug too. But you can return product within 28days depend Jung where u bought it from 

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

So people saying the dimming bug is back... in which mode? I’ve not had it in game mode on 1460. 

0 Likes
PeterHu
Explorer
Options

For me where I tried: Movie, Filmmaker and Natural Mode. Same bug after 6-7 mins. I don't have a console so I can't try Game Mode..

0 Likes
Iskandarkebab
Pioneer
Options

Same here. No sound until restarting TV, and once when closing a Game, It changed to no HDR Mode. This is an HDMI 2.1 issue?

0 Likes
Toejo78
Navigator
Options

Yeah it is, we just need to wait for a patch.

0 Likes
55Q80T-Sad
Student
Options

Hello All, so I have recently purchased a 55" Q80T got it delivered on Sunday 6th December and have been facing issues with it. I want to say that this is my first high end TV I have ever bought, I was using a 22" Sony Full HD TV for many years for my PS3 and PS4. I bought this TV once I received my PS5.

After having issues with the TV, I decided to go through the entire thread here and I see if there are any solutions, which I must say is none and looks like luck on the panel everyone received and whether or not the firmware luckily targeted the localized issue for each user. So congrats to you who have no issues and those who's problems were fixed with the new firmware update. Happy watching and gaming :smiling-face: !! And to us who are facing issues, I hope we can get support from Samsung.

So I will start off with saying that my TV was auto-updated from 1402 when the TV arrived to this version: T-NKMUABC-1403.1. And today I checked the Samsung support page and there is a new firmware (ver 1461.0, 1656.4 MB, 2020-12-11, All OS). This is the link https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/model/QA55Q80TAUXZN/#downloads

I am in Gulf region, UAE if that matters. The TV's software update is not detecting the update automatically. I contacted Samsung via chat and asked for a change log to see what exactly this new update does. The agent did not have any information but said he will check with the concerned team and let me know via email. So I am waiting for that but until then I will not update and I turned off Auto-Update.

The issues I am having are as follows:

• dimming/brightness changes when subtitles are on.
    • I played around with local dimming options, and at Low and Standard local dimming it is better but not completely solved.
  • flickering and then losing brightness when watching 4K/HDR/HD videos on the pre-installed apps on the TV Netflix and Amazon Prime. It happens randomly and I don't know how to replicate the issue.
    • Even on basic video like Family Guy which is only HD this happened randomly.
  • Same flickering then losing brightness when playing on PS5. This happens after 20 minutes but mostly timing is random.
    • PS5 is connected with the HDMI 2.1 cable which comes in the box and is in HDMI Port 4

Picture settings while Gaming

Picture Mode: Game

Picture Size Settings: 16:9 standard

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 50

Sharpness: 10

Color: 25

Tint (G/R): 0

Apply Picture Settings: Greyed out

Picture Clarity Settings: Greyed out

Local Dimming: Standard

Contrast Enhancer: Off

Film Mode: Greyed out

Gamma: ST.2084

ST.2084:0

Shadow Detail: 0

RGB Only Mode: Greyed Out

Color Space Setting: Native

Intelligent Mode: Off (everything is greyed out)

Eco Solution: Off (everything is greyed out)

Auto Power Off: Off

External Device Manager

Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): Off

Input signal plus: ON for all ports (HDMI 1, 2, 3, 4)

HDMI Black Level: Auto

HGiG: On

Game Mode Settings

Game Mode: On

Surround Sound: On

Dynamic Black Equalizer: 0

Game Motion Plus Settings: OFF

PS5 Last Of Us 2 INFO BarPS5 Last Of Us 2 INFO BarPS5 Last of Us 2 start screenPS5 Last of Us 2 start screen

After 20 minutes leaving the TV on the loading screen above, this is what I see on the TV. The top and bottom are much dimmer than before, except the middle portion of the screen. And it is not uniform.

After I see the drop in brightness, I checked the picture settings and brightness is still set to 50 (full). If I reduce the brightness there is no noticeable change even at 0 brightness. Setting it back to 50 also doesn't change anything.

I tried changing the local dimming settings to Low, Standard, Auto but nothing happens.

20201212_170417.jpg

I left the loading screen for longer and after few minutes it will start to flicker, as if trying to brighten the entire screen but nothing can't and returns back to the dim screen as above.

After several restarts but holding the remote power button, the TV returns back to normal and full brightness.

But I did more testing and it is more clear with rtings.com dirty screen test: gray uniformity. I opened the following picture (https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/204_Gray_Uniformity.png) through the TV's web browser and set it as full screen by hiding the toolbar.

This is my picture settings for this gray uniformity test.

Picture mode: Movie

Brightness: 23

Contrast: 45

Sharpness: 0

Color: 25

Tint (G/R): 0

Apply Picture Settings: All Sources

Picture Clarity Settings: Off

Local Dimming: Standard

Contrast Enhancer: Off

Film Mode (Greyed Out): Auto

Color Tone: Warm2

Gamma: BT.1886

BT.1886: 0

Shadow Detail: 0

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space Settings: Auto

Intelligent Mode: Off (everything is greyed out)

Eco Solution: Off (everything is greyed out)

Auto Power Off: Off

External Device Manager

Input signal plus: ON for all ports (HDMI 1, 2, 3, 4)

STAR OF TEST: So my panel has some DSE on it unfortunately as seen below, it's not bad I believe but there. Anyway I kept the below screen on and observed.

20201212_154351.jpg

RESULTS: After 14 minutes, the screen drops in brightness which is very noticeable and the brightness setting is still at 23. Lowering or increasing the brightness level does effect anything on the screen. I tried changing the local dimming options but also nothing happens.

20201212_152238.jpg

I switched to Standard picture mode and it is even more clear of this issue20201212_152220.jpg

Can someone help me with this issue, is it related to the bug of dimming or it is a bad panel? Anyone has this issue?

Thank you.

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Thank you for this incredibly detailed submission.

Sadly, it's the first time I've seen this issue on this thread (or on any other forum). The local dimming bug people are referring to is applied to the entirety of the screen, not only parts like you.

Well done, you've discovered another issue with the Samsung QLED 2020 models. You're very welcome in our small (but growing every day) group. Just know that Samsung will most certainly not acknowledge your issue, as they openly refuse to say anything about ghosting, nonexistent local dimming in Game Mode and the global dimming bug, even when presented with evidence.

I would advise you to go through your retailer, you will have more chance arranging an exchange/refund/repair with them. And then it's on you to decide if you want to stay with a Samsung and its poor quality control, resulting in what a lot of us have been having : months of headache trying to get a set that just works. But some have been lucky and got a functioning set, especially in the US.

By the way, it's weird that the firmware update number in your region is 1461.0, since in the US and the EU it is 1460.9 - we have had example of updates with different version depending on the region, but again, Samsung does not give any information as to why, or as to what the updates really do.

0 Likes