Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 29-11-2020 07:13 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
peterQ95T
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys, I know this is a different issue but a want to warn you.

I have a Q95T and a have exact the same problem that is highlighted in this tread and one more. I tried to clean 2 fingerprints on the screen and have ***** up my screen it’s not a joke You will freak out because when you try to clean your fingerprints you will get blueish stains on the screen impossible to fix.

This TV is getting from very bad to worse

Below is more info about this issue

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/official-cleaning-method-for-the-q95t/m-p/2343264#M54165

https://www.avforums.com/threads/anti-glare-on-samsung-q9fn-tv-issue.2228167/page-7

0 Likes
Neolink
Journeyman
Options

I can't read though 175 pages (gross that it's gone on this long without Samsung patching it). I assume it's been said and noted that its not just 2020 models. Local dimming on my Q9FN hasn't worked in game mode for at least a year. With the newer consoles and higher fidelities however it's bugging me and I'm getting more than a little irked at Samsung for not addressing this. 

0 Likes
Neolink
Journeyman
Options

The issue has existed for over a year. It's not just the new consoles. The same issue with my Q9FN on the Xbox One X. Local dimming hasn't worked in game mode for awhile now. 

0 Likes
Neolink
Journeyman
Options

You might need to adjust some other settings, yes they need to fix the local dimming not working in game mode issue but the set still looks amazing. Local dimming hasn't worked in game mode for over a year. I have a Q9FN and the set is the envy of all my gaming friends. I'm more than willing to share my settings. "Atrocious" is either an extreme exaggeration or the result of jacked up settings. 

0 Likes
jexx
Journeyman
Options

I may have a defective model because game mode is absolutely unusable. Local dimming is just an annoyance. Picture overall is good, but only when not using Game Mode. It's very strange to me that the default picture settings are 50 (max) for brightness and contrast. that's how this thing comes out of the box? 

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

Jexx, do you have a Q80T and when going to game mode, the screen goes weird a yellow colour?

jexx
Journeyman
Options

Correct. It's like a bad filter or 10 filters on the same image. It's incredibly dark and the picture quality is just...awful. And yes it's the q80t.

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I had this issue with 2 Q80T's and got them exchanged eventually for a Q85T. This is an issue with Q80T's and I'm afraid it's hardware related so you have a broken TV in my opinion... it is ONLY on the Q80T that I have heard people with this problem.

0 Likes
jexx
Journeyman
Options

Best Buy is bringing a replacement on Tuesday, free of charge. If there are issues with this I may just get a Sony.

Ya hear me, Samsung? I'm thinking of getting a Sony! Fix automatic dimming! Fix game mode! Let me have more control over my brightness/contrast!

WandererWonder
First Poster
Options

I recieved the 95t yesterday after getting a replacement for a faulty q85r. Im having the dimming zone bug when playing games outside of game mode. What gives?

0 Likes