Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 25-11-2020 12:09 AM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
jexx
Journeyman
Options

I am now 100% sure it's the TV and not the XBOX Series X causing the issue with the dimming, since you are not experiencing it with the exact same setup (HDMI4 2.1 with stock Series X Cable).

I simply can not use Game Mode. it looks ATROCIOUS. I mean, truly horrible. I took a screenshot of how it looked and went to share it with a friend and it was blown out and overexposed! Meaning the TV is doing something and the XBOX is probably pushing hard to be bright. This is quite concerning.

Anyway back to game mode and the scrolling lines. We experience that, as well, when watching shows. The Queen's Gambit, for example, was quite a dark show. We shaw big ole fat gray lines in the background.

I'm on 1403. Samsung says I need TV to be service. Best Buy says swap it out with another.

0 Likes
jexx
Journeyman
Options

I tried to reply to you but I may have actually just responded to the thread...Here's what I was saying in reply to your comment: 

I am now 100% sure it's the TV and not the XBOX Series X causing the issue with the dimming, since you are not experiencing it with the exact same setup (HDMI4 2.1 with stock Series X Cable).

I simply can not use Game Mode. it looks ATROCIOUS. I mean, truly horrible. I took a screenshot of how it looked and went to share it with a friend and it was blown out and overexposed! Meaning the TV is doing something and the XBOX is probably pushing hard to be bright. This is quite concerning.

Anyway back to game mode and the scrolling lines. We experience that, as well, when watching shows. The Queen's Gambit, for example, was quite a dark show. We shaw big ole fat gray lines in the background.

I'm on 1403. Samsung says I need TV to be service. Best Buy says swap it out with another.

0 Likes
Harmen0
Apprentice
Options

It for sure does not resemble my experience. I also gamed on a higher tier tv the same day at a friends house (the cx LG, about 400 euros more expensive right now), so I do think I have a frame of reference of what looks good. Keep in mind some games look like trash in HDR in general or need to be calibrated. Forza Horizon 3, Monster Hunter World and Hitman 2 look horrible in HDR on my end. Not sure what goes wrong there. However, games like Gears 5, Ori Will of the Wisps, and Doom Eternal look fantastic. And on the PS4pro Detroid Become Human and Horizon Zero Dawn look great. Switch looks surprisingly crisp as well, though that offcourse is just 1080p and no HDR.

Personally I'd take the store trade-in option if possible. That usually is quick and you will have the warranty on your new tv as well, without all the risks that may come with having your new device serviced (I once got back a phone that worked again, but was far from new state when it returned, for example). Let Best Buy deal with Samsung if they need to (if it's a faulty unit).

I do believe the scrolling lines are a software thing, as turning on motion plus with all the sliders down solves it. And I am also reading it wasn't the case in the past. For 60 fps single player gaming this is an easy fix that doesn't seem to introduce a whole lot of lag. But for VRR and/or 120 fps motion plus is not an option so the scrolling lines are there. I will get in contact with Samsung and hope others do as well, so they can address this issue. 

0 Likes
Harmen0
Apprentice
Options

That does not sound like my experience at all, most games look great. Keep in mind some games have very bad HDR or require tuning the settings. For some reason Hitman 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Monster Hunter World look terrible on my end (Series X, Hitman 2 does look great in SDR). But Doom Eternal, Ori Will of the Whisp (4k 120 fps HDR VRR), Gears 5 and Gears Tactics look crisp, clear and bright with popping HDR. Switch also looks surprisingly good, at least the 1080p titles.

If I were you I would use story warranty. It ensures a new unit and gives you more options on the longer term (like considering a differnt type of tv if issues persist, or money back, for example). Repair has the risk you will get a unit that clearly looks used, which I have experienced with a repaired phone in the past. Let them deal with Samsung if it is indeed a faulty unit. 

0 Likes
jasonjohns87
First Poster
Options

Is this TV worth buying in EU at all? The middle stand is perfect and the 120fps seems more reliable than the Sony X900h which has reported issues, but all these issues about ghosting, dimming, DSE etc. are worrying. I ordered a Q80T but cancelled it, should I order again? 

0 Likes
brook1
Journeyman
Options

I faced a weird issue today with my q95t the tv couldn't recognize any hdmi port i tried my ps5 port, my receiver port, my ps4 port tv won't recognize any of them, after selecting a port the screen goes black then shows the "no source" message i restarted the tv many times still same thing after unplugging the tv from the wall for 5 minutes and plugging it back and turning it on it worked i hope samsung investigate this 

Toejo78
Navigator
Options

Same for me on mine, it's worse after the ps5 system update today, however I always had no sound until I restarted. Hold remote power off button down until you see the qled screen, saves you powering off from the wall all the time.

0 Likes
katonaz
Student
Options

Same here...i have to turn it back on and on again and OK.

btw..

Do you see such a purple ghosting in game mode? Ill. such moving barely visible lines? If I turn on the Game motion plus, the lines disappear, but if I don't, the purple ghosting comes on.

This TV cost more than $ 3,000. Is this a factory defect now, or does someone else have one?

katonaz
Student
Options

Samsung Q95T

0 Likes
Toejo78
Navigator
Options

Mines the same, moving lines with GMP off and ghosting. They are all the same. We either have to put up with it and hope a future firmware update will fix it or buy an lg. 

0 Likes