Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 16-11-2020 12:33 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I've not had the dimming bug in games, I have had it on HDR Amazon Prime... but not HDR Netflix. I've no idea what they keep doing to screw these TVs up. 

0 Likes
martinsfail
Journeyman
Options

I'm having a conversation with a Samsung technician tonight. They call me. If nothing useful comes out, the TV goes back. I hope I can still return the TV. I'm just too scared of burn-in with the OLED models. I play regularly and (rarely) 8 hours at a time.

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

Go to 13:08 on this video and look at the burn in the LG gets after 20 secs... that worries me a lot. It also shows the blooming of the QLED TVs... it's a trade off and (I guess) personal preference. I went for the QLED because of burn in. I think I could deal with blooming if they sort out everything else with Samsung TVs  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1bSseyyDE

0 Likes
ad1994
Pioneer
Options

Noticed the purple ghosting issue on Assassin's Creed on Series X last night. 

DSE isn't a massive issue on this fifth panel, but disheartened to see this. Not entirely clued up on the problem but is it fixable by software? 

If this TV has one more problem I might return for the CX. I don't want the CX, but I want a TV that doesn't have obvious issues.

0 Likes
Jaggers
Apprentice
Options

I have bad dirty screen effect too on q80t. Also the new firmware fixed the dimming bug on game mode without gmp but when gmp is active the screen dims and lightens every now and then without a clear pattern. What is Samsungs policy on money back returns does anyone know? Its been over a month when i bought this so the store where i bought it from is no longer obligated to take it back.

0 Likes
SidL
Pathfinder
Options

Leave this video as "Public"

0 Likes
zalizoe
Apprentice
Options

With my samsung 65 q85r I'm experiencing something like described in another forum but actually the issue affect every game if the tv is set into 120hz.

"I started playing cod mw on my new xbox series x and I noticed that, during the campaign (for example safe house mission), the textures turn into kind of green color when moving the pad in any direction.

For example, looking at a wall, standing still everything is ok, when I make a move I see some parts of the textures becoming weird color, like changing into something wrong.

It's a random issue since it is not visible playing multiplayer and restarting same mission.

Same proble with cold war.

My initial video settings were 4k 120hz with raytracing forced off by the game.

First mission, I could see the neons of the bar kind of turning into green.

Than I switched the settings into 60hz and raytracing on and the game seemed to be ok but I thing that the rebooting of the game fixed it.

I underline that the issue is visible if You pay attention to it, it may be confused with lights effects or reflections."

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

I'm done here guys. I'm returning the fifth replacement for a Sony XH950. I know it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but it does have similar brightness and better local dimming in game mode.

0 Likes
Duner
Apprentice
Options

Im also getting hair pulled. Brightness random very fast switching, on all APPS, hdr content, on last update.....

SERIOUS PROBLEM.....atm Q95T i consider it BROKEN!   fix that random brigthness switching...TV with 1403 is BROKEN....never saw this behavior never....guess its local dimming bug....if can switch brightness in flashes....

FIX NOW!

0 Likes
Duner
Apprentice
Options

Went for Q95T instead of LG CX..dont make me regret it. Also this week my samsung american type fridge broke aswell....2 in a row.

PRIO: FIX Q90T Q95T flashing brightness bug....ITS on all modes...local dimming low, standard, high, with contrast enhancer on all modes...tried all combinations.... .

Firmware updates are to FIX BUGS! NOT TO CREATE NEW ONES.... DO PROPER QA TESTS ON NEW FIRMWARES......the day it update i noticed it on disney+ watching mandalorian...netflix same, ps4 same....

how can a firmware like this gets released?

ive a 65 Q95T EU version on last firmware  1403

Bought the TV to use on a incoming PS5 at 19th.... and its in this state