Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 03-11-2020 11:35 AM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Danboy76
Journeyman
Options

I am on the latest software that was released in October.. Everything was fine I thought. I just walked into the living room and my kids are playing minecraft on my Xbox one x, and I noticed that screen was a bit dim. I brought up the menu and as soon as I touched the brightness, it increased massively. So for me it is still present.

Game mode with VRR enabled. Minecraft is not in HDR. WTF Samsung? 55Q80T owner here. I am more than disappointed with this set in all honesty. This plus the pretty ***** noticeable DSE everytime the camera pans is beginning to really annoy me. I will wait a bit then get them out to change the panel in the "hope" that I get a better one than I have already. Unacceptable for the money. I would have purchased an OLED if it wasn't for my kids always leaving the screen on with various huds or whatnot.

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone, I'm coming back here with my purple ghosting issue, this time with a video.

The Samsung customer service has done a performance check with remote assistance and determined the tv was "within the norm", and therefore refused to send a tech to check on the tv. They told me to send a video via WhatsApp, which I've just done, let's see what they will answer.

Can any of you see the purple ghosting in the video, especially noticeable next to the trees and the corpse on the floor? Do any of you have the same problem?

And here is another one, with even more evident ghosting :

0 Likes
Muzzakus
Explorer
Options

The second video shows of well what my 75" Q95T set did.  The ghosting really becomes horrendous when the entire scene/ textures have a certain color.  Each movement results in blur soup.  I'm so glad I returned this set, frankly it's not fit for purpose.   

The old 75" Sony 900e I replaced with the Samsung is back and it's night and day - solid motion, not an ounce of ghosting.  Sometimes you just don't know what you've got.

0 Likes
lmpcardoso
Pioneer
Options

I have tested the https://www.testufo.com/ on my Q80T and the results are the following:

ufo.jpeg

Serious ghosting, very bad for gaming.

There is any possibility to this be fixed by firmware update?

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I never see this kind of ghosting. What settings do you use? GMP on or off? 

0 Likes
Budolf
Apprentice
Options

Never had any ghosting with the new firmware 1402, GMP on or off. Local dimming bug is also gone. I use an PS4 and play both 30 and 60 fps games. Q90T here.

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

The videos are on Movie Mode

I have the same effect on every other mode excepted Game Mode with GMP off (the ghosting is back when GMP is on).

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

I am also playing on PS4 pro (and PS3) with all types of games. The ghosting does sometimes disappear (sometimes even for as long as 2 days straight), but is present 90% of the time. I can even notice it when watching movies (but then the effect is so slight because movies generally don't have long and quick pans like games).

Now one tech on the Samsung WhatsApp hotline told me it was due to bad HDMI connectivity and told me to wait for the next update, but I don't really trust him. I have tested with one video of gameplay I made directly from the video capture on the PS4, and weirdly I saw the ghosting when watching the video on my PC connected by HDMI to the tv, and no ghosting was there when watching the video directly on the tv app, so, who knows, maybe the tech is not so wrong...

0 Likes
BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hi there, we spoke before on the thread I created about this issue.

Did you manage to get any answer or response from Samsung about it? Or did you just send back the tv without asking any question?

0 Likes
Muzzakus
Explorer
Options

I actually consider convincing Samsung off the issue a lost cause.  As can be seen, a good majority of people don’t even notice.  I bet you they have it, they just haven’t run up against the right circumstances or are not observant.   Samsung bets on the majority so it’s moot to fight it.   I returned it on a black/white issue - tv does not passthrough DTS, and therefore did not suit my purpose.   It’s not subjective and cannot be disputed.