Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 11-10-2020 08:18 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
QuantumP
Pathfinder
Options

premature poor born kid

AV2020
Pioneer
Options

Who are you talking about?? 

0 Likes
Snir4
Journeyman
Options

Is that okay with the stripes I have? Is it acceptable to everyone there?

0 Likes
Keitoki
Navigator
Options

wtf bro, stop 😂

(im not gonna lie, you are funny)

0 Likes
LCDeez
Navigator
Options

I’m going to go ahead and suggest closing this thread. It’s gone so far off the rails that it’s a mess. Mods, the game mode mode dimming bug has been patched, let’s shut this down and let people start new threads for all these other issues.

QuantumP
Pathfinder
Options

I agree. Too many premature poor born kids in here.

0 Likes
Muzzakus
Explorer
Options

Anybody getting obvious inverse ghosting in the COD Cold War beta?  Ironically pronounced with Blur Reduction set to 10.

0 Likes
Danmay
Explorer
Options

I haven't seen it in that game, but have seen it in modern warfare. From what I've seen, these QLEDs have relatively poor pixel transition times when the screen contains black or purples, hence the screen in some setting configurations has quite aggressive overdrive to try and get around this, hence the ghosting.

0 Likes
Muzzakus
Explorer
Options

75" Q95T on 1402.7, I can confirm horrible Inverse Ghosting kicks in when Game Motion is ENABLED.  Ghosting is negligible when DISABLED.  This is the opposite of what others have previously experienced with older firmware.

Seemingly they played around with overdrive improving basic Game Mode, but screwing Game Motion in the process. I'm a fan of the 60->120fps, now it is a detriment.

For sakes of testing, I'm on PS4 Pro.

Relevant TV Setttings

• TV in 4k HDR
    Local Dimming High
    Contrast enchancer off
    Game Motion enabled - any setting

GAME

• COD Modern Warfare
  • Custom multiplayer Game
  • Map St Petrograd (color scheme shows lots of purple inverse ghosting)

Getting tired of these shambles, couple more days of viewing and it's going back.

BogaMoge
Pathfinder
Options

Hi, owner of a 55Q90T here.

Since I have exactly the same problem as yours, I have a question : are you experiencing the same "ghosting" when playing in Standard/Movie/Filmmaker mode?

After a long back and forth and some remote control of my tv, a Samsung tech told me that it was caused by a HDMI connectivity problem.
Doubtful, I tested the theory by watching a gameplay video I uploaded to YT, once on my PC connected by HDMI, and another directly from the TV's app.
Results :

• ghosting on PC
  • no ghosting on the app

Which would tend to prove the theory true...

The tech then told me another update was in development to solve HDMI problems (ghosting and flickering being the main ones apparently) on Qled 2020 models, but wouldn't (of course) give me any kind of date.

Now please take all this with a lot of salt, this is just one person on the WhatsApp customer service of Samsung, I have no way of knowing if he was talking out of his ass or being genuine. I can only confirm the test (HDMI/not HDMI) worked even when I tried it again later.

0 Likes