Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 01-10-2020 11:46 AM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
CypherXCII
Navigator
Options

@QuantumP bottomline, is the uploaded software safe to use on a q95t European version? Or should i wait?

0 Likes
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

Your TV wont even detect it, because is for different region :smiling-face:

QuantumP
Pathfinder
Options

No it is not. Wait for the correct update for your TV. Why risk it? Why risk messing your TV up just because you couldn't wait a few days for the correct update to your TV via update on the TV or update on the Samsung website. 

CypherXCII
Navigator
Options

You're right. I hope it is a few days. the filmmaker mode update took about 5 weeks before it was released in Europe

Vagval13
Journeyman
Options

It is unacceptable that an entire continent uk/eu should even have to wait this long before getting this update.

NickHwd
Journeyman
Options

Completely agree - better to just wait for a while longer until you get the official version from Samsung. There may be a very valid reason why it's not been released yet. Waiting is frustrating... but better than a broken TV.

0 Likes
De-mon
Explorer
Options

The problem here is the same as always: communication. If they launch the update in Europe next week, we can wait; It is not fair, but the issue would be fixed. Otherwise, you have to be hitting F5 on their website or visiting the forum.

jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I would wait until it is officially out before downloading the US or Korean version etc... it could void warranty if it breaks the TV or something. It's not worth it to wait a few weeks. I hope it's today or soon though!! I've asked @ChrisM if he can find out what's happening. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Realise a bit frustrating  but certainly best to wait for the official Uk/EU  official version.  Just hope it wil  be  fairly soon and fix the dimming issue.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Smooky
Journeyman
Options

To be honest I am getting really disappointed with Samsung TV's. They've been having those weird bugs with QLED TV's since forever, the worst one was with the Q90R from last year, 6 months after release, they rolled out a software update which completely messed up Local Dimming in game mode, and guess what, this hasn't been fixed to this date and probably never will. I think this was intended to make the Q90T seem better, as it was mostly a downgrade compared to the Q90R. Yes, the Q90T on release did have better game mode than Q90R, but only because Q90R got so bad after the software update that it was like watching a completely different TV. At least this time they appear to have fixed this. I finally managed to download the software and update and it is better than before the bug, but still nowhere near as good as the Q90R at launch. My Sony X900H arrived yesterday, and I think I am going to keep it and return the Q95T that I have. I probably watch movies like twice a year, a mainly use the TV for gaming. The Q95T it miles better in terms of movies, but the Sony seems to better in game mode. There is zero quality loss in game mode on the X900H, whereas  there is a very noticeable downgrade when Q95T is in game mode. Also blooming, the X900H has much less blooming in game mode than the Q95T. Not trying to trash the Q95T, overall its a better TV but stating my experience in case anyone else is sick of this game that Samsung is playing with their customers.

0 Likes