Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 31-08-2020 11:12 AM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Gökhan2
Apprentice
Options

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/ij82kr/samsung_q_series_tvs_has_game_mode_dinning_issue/

We must support this link, if we explain the problem on different platforms, Samsung can find the solution faster.

0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

Update is coming on SEP 14th which FIXES the major game-mode dimming bug.

Few days back i have made a complaint about this to samsung customer service.

Technician visited 3 times and taken some debugging data on USB drive from service menu.

Then i have Spoken to the Samsung UAE higher levels to inform that this complaint should never close until there is a permanent fix.

Also i have sent 3 separate emails with more attachments with rainbow tinting in game-mode, LPCM7.1 eARC passthrough issue, and this samsung community EU,US thread links related to the game-mode dimming bug. Everything passed to the overseas factory department which is personaly confirmed by samsung technical team manager to me few days back on a phone call.

Today morning i received a call from samsung technical team informed me that they received information from overseas developers in factory there is a new update which is going to roll-out on SEP 14th especially for game-mode dimming bug. If i don't receive on that date they said  they will provide manual update for me.

So guys we'll wait and see...

Gökhan2
Apprentice
Options

Finally, someone made our voice heard to Samsung. I will look forward to the September 14 update.

0 Likes
Dylan_1
Journeyman
Options

Thank you. Hopefully it actually fixes the local dimming bug 😞 . If it doesn't role out on the 14th, where could we fine the manual download. 

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

I’m guessing on their website. I’ve actually been going to it every other day to see if there’s new firmware because sometimes the ones that are pushed to the tv are delayed. If that’s true then the Q series will be killer especially with next gen gaming. 

0 Likes
Mordechai
Pioneer
Options

Hello everyone, 

I have received an Email from Samsung today that they are well aware of this problem and their developers are working on it. They didn’t tell me when they will have it fixed but at least they recognise this widespread error. 

0 Likes
Jihionfly
Explorer
Options

Ok then..next bug would be..when freesync is enabled,local dimming not working and grey image overall, on xbox one x.can't confirm on pc cause i dont have amd gpu.can anyone confirm this? Q90t model

Suriya
Voyager
Options

It's 100% true weekly twice i have been following up with samsung service. Check sep 14th or 15th samsung q95t support page

0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

I think with Freesync local dimming is not possible. In 9ms you have sacrifice either local dimming or Freesync

0 Likes
LCDeez
Navigator
Options

But will US get the update sooner is my question? 

0 Likes