Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 26-08-2020 12:16 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung UK have offered me an engineer visit but that won't fix this. They'll just mess around with the service menu and put in some temp fix that ends up screwing up other settings. To be fair to @AntS he has been helpful through this. I hope he won't mind me posting his private message reply to me when I moaned to him about Samsung saying it "isn't an issue they know of..." but I think it might help some of us realise that maybe Samsung really are taking notice of this? Mods, please delete if inappropriate to share a private message.

"Apart from Samsung's frontline Support investigative approach generally being on a case-by-case basis, I guess the easiest way to put it is that, strictly speaking, nothing is classed as a "known issue" at our end until the cause and appropriate next steps are identified.... it's best to see it as a "reported issue" at this stage - with the Support staff more on an info gathering/standard-troubleshooting-to-eliminate-other-factors footing right now until we all know more."

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

I agree. I’m not attacking him in any way. But, the steps to 100% reproduce are bullet point listed. A Samsung engineer confirmed that he was able to reproduce the DEFECT 100% while going through the steps. I mean, the appropriate next step is for someone at Samsung to acknowledge there is without a shadow of a doubt a problem and they’re working on a fix. 

Instead we are getting the run around and not a single peep from Samsung that it’s being fixed. Which only tells me that they know and really don’t give a ***** because we’ve already bought their product. 

Alekkk
Explorer
Options

Given that they seemingly never fixed it for last year's model either, I suspect management don’t care, engineering are busy on next year’s models and support are too poorly funded or staffed to do anything about it.

I fixed my dimming problems using the service menu, but I’ll never buy a Samsung product again. I’ll be disabling updates so they can’t stuff it up with new firmware in the meantime, then selling this set next year to buy whatever Sony’s got out in 2021 with HDMI 2.1. Zero trust in Samsung as a brand now. If I was on social media I’d be slamming them on there repeatedly, but I’m not into that stuff so just trying to offer some support here. Keep at it. Maybe something will come of it eventually, but you’re going to have to get management or marketing to notice and not just support. If marketing realise how badly the brand is getting tarnished with ‘the gamers’ or tech savvy people who often get asked by friends and family what television they should buy, maybe they’ll be forced to actually support their product.

Suriya
Voyager
Options

You can simply tell your concern team that so many users are reporting the same problem/bug then only atleast they should get from their chairs to start working.  your people getting salary because we're the one technically paying by buying products. Atleast there should be a confirmation that there is an update coming or anything ?nothing would you accept it if this was your case? In my life span again never buy any samsung products never recommend to anyone. Very shameful customer support samsung is not doing business they're doing Cheating yes it is officially Cheating

0 Likes
_Frank83_
Journeyman
Options

I understand the frustration but unfortunately TVs are not the kind of products with weekly firmware updates where everything is immediately fixed.

Also these message boards are tipically considered self help communities and do not have a direct connection to the tech support and engineering team.

BTW a workaround was proposed here and it worked for me. Just reset the TV by keeping the power on button on the remote controller pressed until the TV turns off and then on again with the QLED logo being displayed.  Until a new firmware is released it is much better than nothing.

An other way to get heard is to contact top reviews websites like rtings.com so that they can update their reviews negatively stating that these products are currently bugged and informing Samsung on the matter. Heads will turn quickly...

0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

Yes right contacting rtings.com is the best way. I mailed them regarding the issue with this discussion link. 

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

I messaged rtings on twitter a while back and they replied saying thanks... if they were to say something public then notice would be taken! 

0 Likes
NoobNoob
Apprentice
Options

Hello everyone!

Wow, I was really about to buy the Q80T 55" when I saw this topic 😮
Now I'm not so sure... Does the problem happen to 100% of users?
(I admit that I have not read the entire 41 pages)

What I liked about this TV was its response time and its HDMI 2.1 port for games, and overall it was well rated on Rtings.com (which does not mention this problem...)
Do you have another model from another brand to suggest?

So sad for you Samsung, but you are losing a potential customer here...

0 Likes
Gökhan2
Apprentice
Options

I am using the 55q80t model and have the same problem. I have software version 1304 ...

If I had known before buying the product, I would have turned to different models. Now I am waiting for it to be fixed with an update.

Do not buy the TV before the problem is solved, or start searching for a different model :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Beaveros
Apprentice
Options

Sorry for maybe silly question. But someone said its happening on all 2020 qled tv, but i didnt see someone who mentioned the cheapest - q60t/q65t Its happend on this model as well ?

0 Likes