Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 09-08-2020 10:52 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Frazzz
Journeyman
Options

Q90T (Italy). With game mode the moving images are very bad (there is both reverse ghosting and ghosting due to a high response time). I have firmware 1302 and when I go to the site it makes me download the 1304. Once downloaded, it doesn't let me extract it. I would like to at least try to install this firmware, does anyone know how to extract it? (tells me the files are corrupted). At the moment I have a 1700 € Q90T turned off and I cannot use it due to this problem. Turn your head to watch content at 60 fps!

SidL
Pathfinder
Options

And another very serious problem of this TV that has not been fixed, if the Local Dimming is in "Standard" (regardless of the image mode) which is a darker scene the whole screen fades to almost 0 brightness !! In the "low" or "high" setting this does not happen. But for me the ideal option is  "Stardard" for Local Dimming, because in the "low" the image is very dark and in the "high" in dark scenes the black is grayish. I am seriously considering returning this TV and buying an OLED from Sony or LG. How does a company like Samsung launch a product and get worse with each update?! 😡

0 Likes
Tv52
Pioneer
Options

Sadly we are in the middle of the year and Samsung is probably working on new TVs for 2021 and don't give a ***** about supporting those versions. After you gave them your money it's your problem not they. 

Disclaimer. I was working for 3 years in Samsung's R&D (network division but I was talking with people from Tizen) and seen this first hand. I was telling myself that I will never buy anything from them again. But after reading all those bull***** reviews praising this TV I bought it for gaming and now here I am with expensive TV I cannot use without having serious issues. 

I will at least make sure that nobody in my family make this error and buy anything from them.

jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

Im not seeing these issues with 1304 but I have a lesser eye for these things than some. Probably best to keep this chat to the new thread made. Rather than confuse it with the overall global dimming issue we have with game mode (this whole discussion). 

0 Likes
Frazzz
Journeyman
Options

Do somebody have a problem with game mode? Contents in gamemode are blurry, it looks like 60 fps game run at 30, probably the response time go over 50ms! Do somebody have seen it before?

jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

Sounds like you have game motion plus on with judder/blur settings. Turn it all off. 

0 Likes
Frazzz
Journeyman
Options

But it's off. I hate game motion plus. I tryied everything. I can confirm it happen only with game mode, on pc at 120hz too, with game mode on, the response time suck.

0 Likes
Frazzz
Journeyman
Options

i've installed the 1304 firmware, i don't have any problem with local dimming or dark levels, but this hateful response time in game mode make me turn off the tv and don't use it. I contacted via e-mail a samsung operator, if they'll not answer I'll call...1700€ TV with 10ms response time... yes, but not in game mode.

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

You mean the input lag is 10ms? If so, that’s totally fine. In fact a very good lag time! I might be misunderstanding you? 

0 Likes
Frazzz
Journeyman
Options
  • The response time is the fluidity of moving images (the lower the better). Input lag is the time a key is pressed and the command arrives on the screen. Either way they are both, excellent 10ms for both. But only in game mode (motion plus off) does the response time (therefore the fluidity of the moving image) worsen.
0 Likes