Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 QLED T models (Q80T, Q90T, Q800T, Q900T) HDR game mode brightness / local dimming bug

(Topic created on: 29-07-2020 11:01 PM)
Rauttis
Explorer
Options

I bought a Q80T a couple of days ago and have noticed a really annoying issue when using the tv with the combination of HDR and game mode.

I'm fairly certain this is a software bug in the TV since I can reproduce this issue with 100% accuracy, and it happens on the dot at the same moment every time. It's basically on a timer.

Basically when the game is displaying a HDR signal and game mode is enabled, exactly after 6 minutes the brightness of the TV suddenly drops by around 20 (50 -> 30). The value of brightness setting doesn't actually change however. Messing with the brightness setting does not restore the brightness to it's original state, but changing the local dimming setting from standard to low and then back to standard does. Switching game mode off and then back on also fixes the issue, but then it happens again EXACTLY after 6 minutes (I've timed this with a stopwatch).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or can someone maybe test this on their TV to see if you can reproduce it?

Exact repro steps on how I can reproduce this 100% of the time on the PS4 Pro:

1. Set brightness to max (50)
  2. Set local dimming to standard (bug happens on high as well)
  3. Enable game mode
  4. Turn off game motion plus
  5. Turn off intelligent mode and all the brightness related settings in eco settings, as these can influence the brightness level of the tv.
  6. Launch a game that runs in HDR
  7. Start your stopwatch
  8. Do whatever you want in the game or you can also go back to PS4 menus, find a bright scene where you can notice a brightness drop easily
  9. When the stopwatch hits 6 minutes, you should see the TVs brightness suddenly drop by a large amount. By eye the brightness drop seems about equal to dropping the brightness from 50 -> 30 by hand.
  10. Go to picture settings and set local dimming to low (brightness does not change)
  11. Set local dimming back to standard (brightness suddenly jumps to the original level. Brightness can be restored by switching input away and back as well, or by disabling and re-enabling game mode)
  12. And again after EXACTLY 6 minutes the bug again repeats and the brightness drops down again

Some other notes: The PS4 has a screensaver that basically dims the screen if it is idle for a while. This is not the cause of this, this happens even when the console is in active use and the brightness can be restored temporarily by changing the local dimming setting like described above. I have not managed to reproduce this issue with game mode off, so it seems to be related to game mode.

Software version: 1304

2,028 REPLIES 2,028
Tv52
Pioneer
Options

If we bought only software from Samsung (like some application) then it would be much harder but we bought physical product that does not work as intended and we are not 100% sure if this is software or other fault.

0 Likes
Branjo
Student
Options

I posted to this sub a couple weeks back about my dimming issue.. just a heads up that my tv seems to be fully functional now after a level 2 rep accessed the service menu and made some adjustments .. not sure what they did but it’s been about 2 weeks now and it’s all good 

LCDeez
Navigator
Options

The problem with this, even though they might have fixed it for you, is it’s not feasible for them to have tier 2 support fix every single Q80 - Q900 through the service menu, they gotta patch it, quickest most efficient for us and Samsung. 

cod
Journeyman
Options

I've got a 85" Q95T, running software version 1302.4, and I play Xbox on it every day, and can't honestly say I've noticed this issue.

I've got all eco mode settings turned off, and I switch between Natural, Movie, and Filmmaker mode for non gaming, depending on what I'm watching, and Game Mode for gaming. Haven't really messed around with most of the other settings, other than to turn off LED Clear Motion. In non game mode, local dimming is set to standard.

0 Likes
LCDeez
Navigator
Options

To take advantage of the lowest input lag, you’d have to turn off game motion all together. When you do this, the issue is obvious. 

0 Likes
cod
Journeyman
Options

Hmmm, will try that then. 

0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

Where you live? Are you sure game motion plus is off and you checked with HDR game mode?

Also double check whether the entire local dimming is turned off by the service guy in the service menu or it is working normal.

0 Likes
cod
Journeyman
Options

Ok, tried it with a Game Motion Plus turned off, set a timer for for 6 minutes and 7 minutes, played full game of Domination on Modern Warfare, not a flicker. Exactly as bright now while I'm typing this as it was when I started playing.

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

It’s odd. I have a friend with q95t 85” who hasn’t noticed the issue either. But it is evident for many of us. Sadly. 

0 Likes
Luke_H
Explorer
Options

What your tag, I’m doing the same?!?! Lol 

but seriously, mines still happening... bugger! 

0 Likes