Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 QLED HDMI issues with Denon X4300H, no 4K HDR

(Topic created on: 24-12-2018 10:31 PM)
Mattg1972
First Poster
Options

I have just purchased a Samsung 65 in 2018 QLED tv (QA65Q6FNASXNZ) and all went well until I wanted to view HDR from my new 4K Apple TV. There appears to be an issue with the Denon receiver (X4300H) and the Samsung TV that is known about (see link below).

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6849

Does anybody have a work around for this, I have done the UHD settings on and off and played around with different HDMI ports and the best I can get out of my Apple TV is 4K SDR, as soon as you turn HDR on, the screen displays the message that the source is not supported. The same holds true for my XBox oneX, SDR is fine, but not full HDR.

Very frustrating as I spent hours trying to get it working before I found the link on the Denon website about the known issue with 2018 QLED TV’s.

I don’t really want to buy some splitters and have optical cables for audio and then plug all my devices directly to the TV - that is why I have the Denon unit in the first place and my cables are all hidden in the wall and all my devices are in a cupboard, so it is very tidy and was working perfectly until I upgraded to the 2018 QLED.

12 REPLIES 12
ttmcmurry
Student
Options

I have the same problem with the Denon X1200H & 2018 Samsung Q6NF.  The moment I turn on HDR features on my source device, and HDR content begins displaying, the TV shows no signal.

Also found the same link you did on Denon's site.  Samsung posted firmware on Dec 20, 2018 (1202.3) and after updating, it did not address the problem whatsoever.  Denon (Marantz) says Samsung isn't playing nice with HDMI protocols.  Samsung says nothing at all about it.  

It's frustrating, for sure.  Christmas gift that doesn't work right.  Meanwhile pretty much all of Samsung's 2018 (Q & N series) lineup is incompatible with all currently supported Denon receivers when in 4kHDR/60 modes.  

0 Likes
j0p3Y
Explorer
Options

Try (ex)changing your cables, that might fix it. Keep them short and within the specs (4k HDR). Also, some receivers might need you to keep those 4k source cables closest to the outgoing (arc) signal cable to your television. Has to do something with AVRboard layout. Might need to reposition your cables 🙂

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@j0p3Y wrote:

Try (ex)changing your cables, that might fix it. Keep them short and within the specs (4k HDR). Also, some receivers might need you to keep those 4k source cables closest to the outgoing (arc) signal cable to your television. Has to do something with AVRboard layout. Might need to reposition your cables 🙂

I have the Denon 2200 and had the KS 9500, q9f,  and even tried the q900r and all worked,  but only sends a Dolby digital+ out.  The ks also set DTS.  Make sure it's set to bitstream out In audio settings as I had that problem until I changed the audio out settings.  Also I had to set the audio in on the Denon to auto. 

0 Likes
ttmcmurry
Student
Options

The cables certainly aren't the issue; my earlier troubleshooting revealed that's not the case.  

The problem manifests itself when the Xbox One (or any other 4k source) switches from 4k/60 (SDR) to 4k/60 (HDR).  Now, my Sony 4k Blu-Ray player tends to stick to 4k/24 (HDR), and consequently it works fine.  However, if I were to play a movie with a faster framerate, it would lose signal.  I've observed this behavior on Roku as well.  

The takeaway is with Denon/Marantz receivers (x1xx - x5xx models), in conjunction with 2018-model Samsung TVs, that once a 4k HDR mode of 60fps is engaged, the tv and receiver no longer are able to communicate and the TV displays a message accordingly.  

Some workarounds:

• Disable HDR on affected devices
  • Some devices may let you manually set 4k/30 (HDR) 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 as a static resolution option
  • Some Denon/Marantz receivers allow manual output resolution settings, therefore it is possible to set capable receivers to a static output resolution regardless the input.

But here we are 3 months later and no fix yet.  It's a frustrating issue to deal with and possibly it (though I have no confirmation) being a larger problem to resolve since it's taken this long to get a firmware release out to address it.  Denon/Marantz did their part to support Samsung's newfound use of expanded EDIDs - now it's Samsung's part to either make it work, or collaborate with the vendor.  

0 Likes
j0p3Y
Explorer
Options

Hi, 

I have a Denon x2500H and as of yet am not able to reproduce this behavior.

The Samsung TV is model QE55Q9FN 2018.

Hardware that plays 4k content are :

Nvidia Shield. 

Playstation 4 pro. 

Both 'seem' to work normal, but I have doubts. I would like to know if there is a way that I am get real-time on screen info of what quality is displayed (resolution, HDR etc). Also, what settings will display the problem? 

Unfortunately I cannot return the TV. But I still can return the receiver and buy a better one (don't know which one in this price range. Was onto the Onkyo-TX-NR686  but that also had some serious issues ). 

Can anyone help me out ?

With checking if Denon x2500H and Samsung-QE55Q9FN are optimal compatible with these sources  And with advice on another receiver? 

Thank you 

0 Likes
ttmcmurry
Student
Options

The easiest way to see what resolution the Denon sees is to go to its web page and look at General -> Information for its output status.  You'll see capabilities as well as the current resolution & mode.  I've never seen it indicate it's in HDR mode (On the X1200W) however....

The Samsung TV will let you know it's in HDR mode when you go to quick settings and look at the picture mode.  If HDR is working, a small HDR insignia will appear on top of the icon.  

From what little I know about the PS4Pro (Original PS4 and Xbox One X here) - it's very rare for a PS4 game to run at native 4k60 with HDR.  Most of the games use a lower resolution that gets upscaled to 4k, or is checkerboarded to the same.  Check here for a list of games and try to find one you have that is 4K, in HDR, and runs at 60fps.  Make sure your PS4 Pro is configured for HDR as well as enabling HDR on the Samsung HDMI inputs.   

The things about an Xbox One X is it is super easy to trigger the problem; it sets resolution very differently than a PS4.  Basically, where you can enable settings for HDR on a PS4, it doesn't push the XROSS UI into HDR mode, it only goes into it if a game calls for it.  The Xbox will enter HDR mode immediately and stay there throughout the UI and games, regardless if they support HDR or not.  That's why the testing case for PS4 is .. more difficult.  PS4 simply has fewer true 4k/60 HDR games than what's available on Xbox.  I'm not saying this to make a flame war about which console is better - merely pointing out there subtle yet important differences in why there's more Xbox users complaining about Samsung & Denon not being compatible with each other than PS4 - the use case is very different.

0 Likes
j0p3Y
Explorer
Options

Hehheh, no Xbox-ps4 fanboy war, no worries? 

Yesterday I managed to get the quick settings button working (button with 4 colored dots, then 'info'. For some reason it didn't function earlier.. ).  With both the ps4 pro as the Nvidia Shield set up correctly, it did show it was in 4k mode, and the HDR insignia showed.

But what was weird is that in the Nvidia Shield menu, the upper option 'dynamic range' was greyed out. The TV's info menu showed 4k and HDR... 

Same when I rerouted the signal from Nvidia Shield directly to the TV (no Denon in between). Same signal-info.

When playing the game 'The Witness' on Ps4  I could set HDR and 4k in the games menu. Only option for 4k HDR was 4k/30fps. That worked great. So the 60 fps I still have to do some research on.

If you have tips for me to set up some test to do 60fps on 4k HDR, that would be welcome . (#edit, I'll try 'Uncharted, Lost Legacy'. That one has alle the settings, 4k, HDR and 60fps)

0 Likes
j0p3Y
Explorer
Options
Right now my son is playing Fortnite on PS4 pro.
Info screen shows this: 3840x2160/60p UHD color and the grey UHD-vignette.
0 Likes
j0p3Y
Explorer
Options
Ah, just found out the reason the info-button of the TV didn't show anything, was because the Denon receiver video output setting was set to 'pass through'. When it is set to auto, it does give info. But I'm afraid it only is the info the receiver is providing, not what the TV is showing.
0 Likes