Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 QLED HDMI issues with AV receiver.

(Topic created on: 29-03-2019 08:57 AM)
Dandle
Explorer
Options

Hi, I purchased a new Yamaha AV receiver last week and its been driving me potty trying to get this to work with my 6 week old QE75Q9FNAT tv. The AV receiver plugs in to HDMI 4 on the one connect box with all sources plugging into the Yamaha and that doing all the switching of the picture and sound.

The receiver is set to pass through and the HDMI handshakes with the TV and plays the video. The problem is that when you change a source on the receiver and it changes resolution (i.e. 1080p to 4K HDR) it looses the handshake and cant reconnect the HDMI. That is until you power it all down and physically unplug the hdmi lead in the one connect and reconnect it, then when its powered up it will work again until he source resolution is changed.

The issue seems to be when the tv tries to detect the new 10bit HDR source a big blue splash screen appears telling me its changing the display and then HDMI then cant handshake again. I've tried loads of things including about 9 different HDMI leads been on the phone to Yamaha tech support who are superb (lesson to be learnt here Samsung).

The system is fine switching between 4k HDR from SKY Q and the Nvidia Sheild as the sources are the same and it will even switch to the 1080p Playstation 4 fine. Going back from the PS4 to a 4k HDR (10Bit) source the HDMI hangs after the TV comes up with the detecting source message. The issue seems to be with 10Bit colour signals where the problem is as 8 bit is processed fine and the TV doesnt do anything.

I've tried lots of different settings including turning off HDMI auto detect which works, the problem is this doesnt stay in the mode you set it to and when the TV turns off it defaults to back on. This should be an option in the menu and not a trick you have to learn about from the internet. HDMI-CEC has been tried on and off and doesnt make and difference, ive left it off for now.

Is there a way to stop the tv trying to detect the source and process it after all its all coming through HDMI port4 (the other ports all act the same). Or to permantly set HDMI auto detect to off. I just want it to act as a display for the signal from the receiver and do nothing else. At the minute im disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI port about 5 time a day at the moment to get the connection back.

Ive spoken to tech support who are abroad somewhere and they really dont understand what I'm saying even telling me at one point the display doesnt support 10 bit colour signals.

36 REPLIES 36
Bradley1
Apprentice
Options
I have a Marantz SR5010 and is arc, I can’t get sound form it. The only way is to run my fios box to the AVR, but then my picture is not as good and when watching sports it’s even worse. If I run Fios box to One Connect, picture is much better and hockey is great again. But no sound out of the AVR. I’m stuck
Help?
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Bradley1 wrote:
I have a Marantz SR5010 and is arc, I can’t get sound form it. The only way is to run my fios box to the AVR, but then my picture is not as good and when watching sports it’s even worse. If I run Fios box to One Connect, picture is much better and hockey is great again. But no sound out of the AVR. I’m stuck
Help?

In the tv sound settings have you set to bitstream? 

0 Likes
Bradley1
Apprentice
Options

Ok, turned on but still nothing happened 

0 Likes
Bradley1
Apprentice
Options
I did just turn it on
0 Likes
Bigrogj
First Poster
Options

I would call Samsung and give them your serial number and ask them if your Q9 is a 8 bit or 10 bit panel.   Apparently Samsung is very devious and does not tell the public that they make Q names in both eight and 10 bit. They make the eight bit for the commercial market in bars hotels board rooms and such because it’s cheaper and it’s good enough for those purposes. The price of the eight bit is anywhere from $500-$1000 less. 

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

Mine works fine now. I bought a new One Connect box from Samsung parts. Spent $373 for it. Now zero handshake issues. 10 bit color, HDR. No more issues. 

I'm so happy I can use my Denon AVR-X4400H with the Samsung Q9F tv now. No handshake issues. 

Apparently the one connect box that shipped with my $6,000 tv was defective. 

Now I have to try and get the original One Connect box replaced under warranty!

0 Likes
Dandle
Explorer
Options

That's great. I have no chance of them swapping it out under warranty. They couldn't even understand the issue when I was talking with them last time. The after sales was truly rubbish when I tried talking to them. 

0 Likes
Dandle
Explorer
Options

Just to update this thread. I've been using a HD Fury Integral to get aroud the HDMI handshake issues with the Q9FN and although it works it isnt perfect and theres no auto picture switching but it did give me a 10 bit handshake and picture.

Anyway today Ive taken delivery and set up a Q950 tv and there are no such issues with the one connect box it pairs perfectly with the amplifier  everything auto switches fine and the handshakes are instant.  

I had read somewhere that someone had the one connect box changed for this issue so I am now going to persue a waranty clain for a new box as thats the only thing different and it all works now.

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@Dandle wrote:

Just to update this thread. I've been using a HD Fury Integral to get aroud the HDMI handshake issues with the Q9FN and although it works it isnt perfect and theres no auto picture switching but it did give me a 10 bit handshake and picture.

Anyway today Ive taken delivery and set up a Q950 tv and there are no such issues with the one connect box it pairs perfectly with the amplifier  everything auto switches fine and the handshakes are instant.  

I had read somewhere that someone had the one connect box changed for this issue so I am now going to persue a waranty clain for a new box as thats the only thing different and it all works now.

I am the person who replaced the One Connect box on my Q9F at my own expense .

That solved all the handshake issues .  Apparently Samsung has a bad batch of One Connect boxes with the early production Q8F TV's .

I too am going to pursue a warranty claim, but I doubt I'll get anywhere .I spent arount $375 for the new One Connect box in addition to the $6,000 I paid for the 75" Q9F .

The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

I had a typo .It should have been Q9F not Q8F .