Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[TIP]Tab A7 Screen Calibration enhancement

(Topic created on: 12-03-2021 12:08 PM)
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I've been using a sceen calibration app on my Android devices for many years. Until today I'd not tried it on the Tab A7 because I thought it looked reasonably okay with factory defaults. How wrong I was! I ran the calibration app and restarted. The colour and contrast is so much better now, certainly more vibrant. It's easier to see even at the low automatic brightness level.

If you want to try it yourself here's the app link. It works without the need for rooting your device and the changes can be reset if you don't like being able to see stuff properly 😉 

It's not available in the Galaxy Store
4 REPLIES 4
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Don't like to be the buzz kill, but the app isn't actually doing any calibration, its fake. It may try to simulate a screen calibration by turning up the brightness, but you can't actually 1 click calibrate any monitor.

Calibration requires adjusting post processing features, RGB ratios, gamma etc...
This can only be done manually, on a screen by screen basis, using calibration images and videos as guides, whilst the user makes the changes based on how those images appear, as the same image may appear different on different screens, no app or software can detect what those differences are unless your using a physical calibration tool which is put on the screen itself to measure how the screen is outputing certain images and colours.

There is no Google api to allow any apps to do anything of the sort. No apps actually have the permissions to change the calibration of the screen, other than the simple RGB adjustments in settings, which isn't close to enough to actually call it a calibration anyway.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It's not adjusting the brightness, there's a marked difference in the colour vibrancy and contrast. So no buzz killed because even if calling it calibration is a stretch it does work. I have a colorimeter for my computers so I'm well aware of what proper screen calibration involves. I too was sceptical when I first tried it on an Amazon Fire tablet. I've also used it on an Acer Iconia One 7. You may be right about it adjusting RGB only but who really cares if it works? It costs nothing unless you want to pay to remove adverts
0 Likes
joe2jo
Pioneer
Options
maybe you need a new one
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
it is a new device, got it in February
0 Likes