Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab S7+ owner; getting sick of being ignored

(Topic created on: 16-10-2020 07:01 AM)
z28camaroman
Pioneer
Options

I'm getting tired of repeating myself but I'm back to talk about MONTHLY security patches for the Tab S7 and S7+. I've heard the generic response from many reps: that they'll forward it to the software team, but I haven't found a single response from said software team. 

For users unaware, the Tab S7 and S7+, despite being the best tablets Samsung make, get the same software treatment as their much cheaper A-series phones. They get security patches once every 3-4 months, possibly 5 if history repeats itself from the S6 and S4, and will get OS updates also likely a few months after the S20 and Note 20 despite being comparable in price and specs. This is unacceptable.

For those who think security isn't important, here's a great analysis I got from a very knowledgeable user online in regards to OTA updates from OEMs and Google Play Project/Mainline updates introduced in Android 10:

"Last year 30% vulnerabilities were patched in android kernel. Rest of them were in android framework, OEM drivers and SoC firmwares. Mainline updates some critical portion of android framework so there is still some dependency on OEMs to cover rest of the android framework, drivers and firmwares. Securing mainline modules alone is not enough.

What matters more is where the vulnerability is. Vulnerability in kernel is likely to have more severity so kernel updates are much more important than updates for non-core android framework components. This is what GKI is promising to update. Vulnerability in drivers and firmwares can be as much critical but don't show up quickly. Once your device stops receiving updates for any of these critical components, vulnerabilities of your version that show up after that date, your device will become more vulnerable as the gap increases."

To recap, 70% of vulnerabilities found in Samsung's Android devices can only be patched via OTA updates from Samsung. If a vulnerability shows up a month after a QUARTERLY update, that means the Tab S7 and S7+ will be far more vulnerable to attack for 3-5 months. This would not happen if they got patches monthly, which would fix the vulnerabilities found within 30 days instead of 3-5 months. 

Users are very interested in seeing improvements, as you can see below. (They're all safe links, so don't even think of removing them "because it violates our policy". It only proves my point. I have brought up the issue and many people agree it needs fixing.)

As an owner of multiple Samsung devices, including the Galaxy S20+, Gear S3 and the older S9+ and Tab S4, it is disheartening and disrespectful to me a customer to not the get the best experience possible considering my other devices get it.

For those who think it's infeasible for a multi-billion Euro company to actually support another 2 of their products they charge a pretty penny for, you're only fooling yourself. I also want to point out that the company Essential provided this level of support up until their bankruptcy, which had nothing to do with software support. (They went under for selling a poor-man's Pixel that had no purpose to exist, not wasting money on updates)

Considering competing devices in the same market like the Apple iPad and Microsoft Surface receive monthly security patches AND LONGER SOFTWARE SUPPORT, I see absolutely no reason for Samsung to skimp.

For those saying I should buy them instead, Samsung has us all by the balls. There is no other 12 inch HDR10+ 120hz AMOLED device, so it's the Tab S7+ or bust. I'd rather improve the software experience here than beg Apple or Microsoft to step-up their display game. 

I want to see actual change. Monthly security patches for the Tab S7 and S7+!

6 REPLIES 6
Maroš
Voyager
Options
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
0 Likes
eezytiger
Student
Options
I totally agree that these tablets should receive monthly updates. My S7+ is on the September patch, but so is my Note 20 Ultra, and I installed new OTA firmware on that just yesterday. Not cool, Samsung.
Clive7409
Voyager
Options
Totally agree with your view here, being from an IT background myself I know the importance of security & Samsung do not appear to take Tablet security to be as high as a mobile device!!!

If a device connects to the Internet it is inherently insecure & thus patches are a must, this is irrespective of if it is a mobile, tablet or even in car entertainment. For the cost of these devices I'd rather see less of a range of products with greater focus on security updates than a business model that thinks it's acceptable to patch vulnerabilities in one product but not another due to financial gain etc.

Unfortunately if only a few stamp their feet little will be done m, but consider the cost if a virus got on to your device due to limited updates & then infected your other devices... that would be substantially costly & yes I know some will say Android doesn't get viruses as based on a Linux core, but it does still have some fairly big insecurities that could allow an attacker a route in to your own home networks or anywhere else you may connect!!
Easty
Big Cheese
Options
We've had the same issue with Tab S6 all year, still not even got OneUI 2.5 & September Security Update
Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5g
Samsung Tab S6 Lte 256gb
Samsung Galaxy Watch
eezytiger
Student
Options
I checked for new software today, manually, and now have October updates installed on my UK S7+.

Download was 354 MB. Change log mentions only security updates, nothing functional.

p.s. nothing new for my HK Note 20 Ultra, so the Tab is actually winning right now. 🙂
nowtvman
Apprentice
Options

Totally with the OP.