Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab S6 issue with external usb card reader

(Topic created on: 03-12-2019 04:34 PM)
JanisB
First Poster
Options

Hi All,

Just purchased a Tab S6 for some photo editing. I need to transfer my images from my dslr camera to my Tab, but I can't really use the wi-fi option as transfering ~100 Raw images takes about 10-15 minutes and sometimes I have 500 or even more. I have purchased a cable that has USB-C at one end and a female USB connection at the other (cable works fine - tested with other, standard USB sticks). I also have a Hama SD card reader 00123900 which I use to transfer images to my PC. Issue is that this reader is not recognized by the Tab - it only "charges" it and I can't change it to any other options.  I have done several things described below without a success. Today I read on a random sell webpage that my SD card reader is non OTG capable. My conclusion is that I need to purchase another - OTG capable card reader. Just want to check if that is really the case. Would that fix my issue? Maybe someone has the same/similar experience.

PS. What I have done so far after discovering about the issue described:

Unlock the developer settings on my Tab and debug the USB (no success)

Reset to the factory settings (read it somewhere on the web - no success)

Make a test using another USB device (standard USB stick) - cable works fine as the stick was recognized by Tab

Format the SD card from my camera (several times, different formats - no success)

Found out that the card reader is non OTG capable - could be the success :smiling-face:

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
allanj
First Poster
Options

I had similar issues until I found an app called JS USB OTG, although--sadly--this has not been the end of my troubles, as the app seems to get stuck in arcane subdirectories and constantly advises me that I "cannot acces that device". BEST OF LUCK.

0 Likes
Redstone
First Poster
Options

Hello,

Did you find a solution? I've been on the same journey as you, trying to find a means to get Images off my camera's sd card into my Samsung Tab S6. This morning I tried an OTG reader, IOGear GFR3C12 and could not change the reader from a USB charging device. I have installed and card card in the S6 slot.... I wonder if that is the problem. 

0 Likes
ADombrowski
First Poster
Options

I have had the same issue and it seems to be a problem with having a micro SD card insterted. I have my s6 Lite , with a 64gb micro sdxc card installed, when inserting my camera's sdxc card via an otg usbc card reader nothing appears. If I take out my micro SD card then the 64gb sdxc card shows up just fine. Oldly enough, if I insert my 16 gb standard SD card it show up while the micro SD card inserted. 

From this test it seems like the OS can only handle one sdxc card at a time... Can someone from Samsung confirm this is a limitation/bug with the software?

0 Likes