Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Slow startup after android 9 update on my galaxy tab s4 sm-t830 wifi

(Topic created on: 02-05-2019 05:58 AM)
Papy0
Journeyman
Options

I just updated to android 9 on my galaxy tab s4 (wifi, 256gb). Everything is fine except that it now takes a lot longer to startup. Before the update it only took about 10 seconds after entering my pin code to be fully active, which I really appreciated . Now it takes a minute or so. I did a system cache wipe, but that didn't change anything. Any suggestions?

Papy.

PS I also regret android 9 apparently no longer lets you remove the icon frames!

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@Papy0

Hi, this is normal that it take longer time to open.  In Oréo version, your tablet has 800 megabytes reserved on 4 gigs helping for faster boot and opening applications. Since you update the tablet to install Pie 9.0, Samsung reduce this reserved space to 500 megs because they realise 4 gigabytes memory was a bit short when you use many applications.

So, now, because of less memory reserved for applications on your tablet, it take a longer time to open, nothing will change this...but even with this change, tablet is working fine, this is what is the most important...(sorry for my english, hope you understand..)

Screenshot_20190528-221047_Device care.jpg

Have a nice day

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk

View solution in context

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Papy0 

After any new update, it can take a while for the new software to 'settle in'. Let's try a soft reset on the tablet. This will end all processes and give the tablet a fresh start. To do this, press and hold the 'Power' and 'Volume Down' buttons until the tablet restarts.

0 Likes
Papy0
Journeyman
Options
Dear ChrisM, Thanks for your post and suggestion. Soft reset done, but it still takes 45 seconds between my entering my password and the home screen coming online, ie still 3 times longer than before the update ... but I can live with that (unless there's something simple I can do - it's not worth doing a factory reset as I saw suggested to someone with a similar issue on another site). By the way, when starting up, the black screen asks for my password and the numeric keyboard pops up, but then it disappears, and then a few seconds later it pops up again ... why would that be? Papy0
0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Mmm! Somethings not quite right, @Papy0. As you say, a factory reset seems a little over the top for the issue you're experiencing, but it's up to you. I'd monitor it and let us know if you have any further issues.

0 Likes
Papy0
Journeyman
Options
Ok Papy0
0 Likes
Solution
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@Papy0

Hi, this is normal that it take longer time to open.  In Oréo version, your tablet has 800 megabytes reserved on 4 gigs helping for faster boot and opening applications. Since you update the tablet to install Pie 9.0, Samsung reduce this reserved space to 500 megs because they realise 4 gigabytes memory was a bit short when you use many applications.

So, now, because of less memory reserved for applications on your tablet, it take a longer time to open, nothing will change this...but even with this change, tablet is working fine, this is what is the most important...(sorry for my english, hope you understand..)

Screenshot_20190528-221047_Device care.jpg

Have a nice day

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
Papy0
Journeyman
Options

Dear Cassidy007,

Thank you for your clear an definitive reply. I guess this is a case of "what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts", as my parents' generation used to say.

Best regards

Papy

0 Likes