Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow charging message on Oneplus charger (tab s5e)

(Topic created on: 13-05-2021 08:18 AM)
tibert
Apprentice
Options
Hello,
I have an Oneplus 8 pro charger, works very well on the OnePlus 8 pro.
When I plug it in the Galaxy Tab s5e it goes from charging by cable, to fast charging, then to slow charging with a message. When I go and see on the Ampere app, it starts at about 1000 mA of charging, then when the message appears it goes down to 80-300.
But I also have a Huawei tablet (mediapad m5), this one if I plug it in, it charges at about 1500 mA.

I tried another cable, which sadly doesn't support fast charging, it charges the tablet at about 1500mA.
I also tried on the OnePlus 8t charger with another cable (this one supports fast charging, but isn't the OnePlus cable), and it was using fast charging, 2000+mA.

So if I understand well this, is that Samsung is blocking through software the OnePlus charger.
Or do you know something else ? Have another idea ?
Thanks.
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey there!!

I'll be honest, I don't see why Samsung would block the charger through software. To give you some more info, I'd need to know the rating of your OnePlus charger (power/current rating) - I know from experience that the Tab S5e can be a bit of a pig when it comes to fast charging - I was daily-driving a Tab S5e until I upgraded to the Tab S7+ (which, if I'm honest, was a huge step up!)

Anyways, I'll do my best to help - Samsung uses Adaptive Fast Charging, which can switch charging up to 9V/1.7A (although I've seen it go higher). If your OnePlus charger doesn't support 9V fast charging, then it probably won't work with your Tab S5e, and will instead charge slower. If your charging speed drops down during charging, like you've described, try attaching a new cable to the charger and tablet, and maybe use a toothpick to try and clean out the Type-C port.

Best wishes,
Tom :smiling-face:
Lastboyscout
Pathfinder
Options
Hi, as the battery charges the power it will take falls. This is why it’s best to charge your battery at around 11%. As you go over the 50% mark, you are going to see a drop off. I would expect a good fast charger, with the correct rated cable, to be hitting 2.4A+. When testing chargers and cables, I like to do a 15min test, starting with the battery at around 15-20%. I’ve attached a couple of photos showing this drop off effect. I was using a 65W GaN charger on my S21 Ultra. The MAX the OnePlus charger is going to put out is 1.5A, whereas the official Samsung FC is 2x that. To be honest, I don’t really consider anything below 2.0- 2.4A as fast charging. If your charger puts out 1.5A and you have a 3A FC cable, it is still only going to deliver 1.5A. Hope I’m not teaching you to suck eggs here 😀 and other people may have a different opinion.

I think what I’m trying to say is you need a better charger for you S5e. If you do decide to go down that route, then check the charger is a GaN one. They don’t get so hot, which means you can have more power in a smaller device – you will pay more for one though.

All a bit longwinded, just hope it helps. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

20210424_114613_67456.jpg

20210424_113046_67455.jpg

AndrewL
Options

@tibert: Sadly it is difficult to verify if third party chargers are compatible with Fast Charging on the Tab S5e. All I can suggest is that you use the charger plug and cable that came packaged with the device, to ensure that you don't encounter any issues. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Whilst some beneficial advice has been provided as @AndrewL has indicated there may be issues with 3rd party chargers and Samsung only recommend using their own chargers.

However anyone who decides to  use another supplier should at least ensure they are a trusted source. See more here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/phone-chargers-1149249/amp/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Lastboyscout
Pathfinder
Options
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Lastboyscout  I am aware that some customers  have been fine with third  party chargers, however just saying it can not be guaranteed.   Anyway  just reiterating that it is important to do some research, thank you for your input.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

tibert
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

thanks for your answer, I looked on my charger, it has only 5v and 2 or 6 A, it would explain why it cannot do fast charging.

But then why would it slow down the charging at a so low rate when using the OnePlus cable, and use a normal charging speed when using another third party cable, but with the same charger ?

Best regards.

0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey tibert,

I'm wondering if the cable's worn out or damaged, in which case, swapping for a different cable would result in a higher charge speed! Also, as Lastboyscout said "as the battery charges the power it takes will fall" - the closer to full your battery gets, the slower your phone will charge the battery (regardless of what charger is attached). It's a safety mechanism to prevent battery damage.

Best wishes,
Tom :smiling-face:
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

As @CrazyTom2k2  and @Lastboyscout  say  there is a safety mechanism built in and the speed will reduce once a significant charge is reached.  The battery is under the most strain once it reaches the 80% level and in fact many analysts would suggest that not charging to 100% will maximise the battery life.   Some tips and  and debunked myths in this article. https://charbycharge.com/how-often-should-i-charge-my-phone-to-prolong-the-battery-life/