Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Folder - Availability

(Topic created on: 15-12-2017 11:03 AM)
spinon
Pioneer
Options

Hi Folks,

Having very recently closed down and uninstalled My Knox from my Tab S2 8" (SM-T713), I would now like to install Secure Folder. But, Secure Folder doesn't appear to be available yet for my device. So I sent an email to secfolder@samsung.com, only to be re-directed to an app called 'Samsung Members',  which is also not compatible with my Tab S2. Wild Goose Chase!

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21
spinon
Pioneer
Options

OK, many thanks. My Knox is a separate platform in which one can create, edit and save, documents. The name 'Secure Folder' implies a secure storage area for documents, etc. But information that I have received from Samsung  led me to believe that Secure Folder is a complete replacement for My Knox. No doubt AntS will clarify the situation. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

You'd be correct, spinon. Android Central do a pretty good job of explaining Private Mode and how it differs (a little) from My Knox here.

The only info us frontliners have received so far for stuff currently not supporting Secure Folder is:

"If your mobile does not support Secure Folder, then please back up the data outside of My Knox (e.g. using the Move to Personal mode feature)."

Unsure if this is workable for you guys, though, so I'm chasing up to get something a bit more... definitive.

For now, specific to you @spinon, I've been advised that if you're still wanting to access data that's backed up within My Knox then to reinstall My Knox, and after restoring the secure data backed up there, move it into the normal storage area so that once My Knox has ended you'll still have access to that data.

0 Likes
spinon
Pioneer
Options

Hi AntS,

I don't need to access data that I previously had in My Knox - not for the foreseeable future. That data is backed up to Samsung servers following the instructions provided to me in a Samsung email. I simply want to install Secure Folder on my Tab S2. Surely, Samsung intended to replace My Knox with Secure Folder - so when will it happen?

spinon

0 Likes
AntS
Options

No worries @spinon. I'm still chasing up exactly what was intended to replace My Knox - and will update you guys as soon as I hear anything back on that.

spinon
Pioneer
Options
OK, I'll try to be patient.
0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi all.

I've received confirmation and clarification on this now.

If Secure Folder is available for your device: 

• Download Secure Folder application (from Galaxy Apps or Google Play)
  • Set up Secure Folder
  • Back up My Knox data, go to My Knox Settings > Backup and restore > Back up My Knox data. 

If Secure Folder is not available for your device:

• Back up your content using Move to Personal mode feature
  • You can continue to use the My Knox application until it is uninstalled

However:

• From 19th December 2017 you will not be able to download the My Knox application
  • From 19th December 2017 you will not be able to log in to the My Knox portal to remotely manage My Knox

(My Knox FAQ's here for more info.)

0 Likes
spinon
Pioneer
Options

Well, that's a pretty poor show. For business users, this is not what they would want to hear. But they've probably known for some time that this would be the outcome. What happens to the Knox platform, which is still installed on my Tab S2 (as shown in 'About Device')? Is it redundant? It doesn't make sense - I've just purchased a shiny, new Galaxy A5 (2017) phone, which incorporates Secure Folder. So, ***** am I, with a great, bonus feature on my tablet that I can no longer use. Disappointing. 

spinon

0 Likes
spinon
Pioneer
Options

In my reply above, for '*****', read 'h e r e'!! For some reason, this community software mangles what gets saved.

spinon

0 Likes
JAZAKKHAN
First Poster
Options

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM,  if samsing is removing KNOX then we should be able to get replacement , that was the best option and due to that reason i bought s2 where as i do not need new tablet. please bring back KNOX or allow us to have Secure folder. for family people this is the best thing ever samsung give.

0 Likes
MLHxFB
Student
Options

Hello,

I was just having the same problem on my Galaxy C7 but I'm happy to say that I've found a solution. All you need to do is to download it from this website:  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/secure-folder/secure-folder-1-1-07-6-releas...  it'll work even though it says it's not compatible on the play store. PS: you need to allow installations from unkown sources. Go to settings, lock screen and security, and turn unknown sources on, you can turn it off after the installation is complete. Have a good day.