Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second screen doesn't work on Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra 5G

(Topic created on: 30-01-2023 03:25 PM)
Tom Placer
Journeyman
Options

My Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra 5G, bought in March, upgraded to to last firmware Andorid OS build...everything.

I've tried the second screen function from two different PC's with windows 11 (both upgraded to the latest version of Windows, I mean all SP-s are installed (the last is Cumulative May 2022 upgrade for Windows 11)).

I've tried the functionality on 2 different WiFi Networks which are set on 2 different routers. Both, the Tablet and the PC's were on the same WiFi network. 

Both the PC have installed Samsung Second Screen SW from Microsoft Store (but I've tried also native functionality (within Windows)).

The results are exactly and every time the same: The tables goes black screen for a second or two, and then the home screen reappears. Like If the connection is established but when the picture from the PC has to be displayed, the tablet closes the connection. And even on the PC I have to reinitiate the procedure of connection with CTRL-K (Win native) or with the Samsung APP.

Can somebody give me an advice to solve the problem or Samsung has to overcome this issue?

I've bought this tablet beside all to use it as a secondary screen when I go to work at the offices of my customers.

Any answer would be highly appreciated. If it comes from Samsung directly even more.

Thank You in advance for the answer(s).

63 REPLIES 63
Jonathan Fritz
Student
Options

Okay, what the heck means "Enhanced firewall"???

0 Likes
Jonathan Fritz
Student
Options

*facepalm* No sht dude...

Members_ALE_tIcq
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone! Here are the workarounds I've tried so far, though none of them worked for me:

- allow apps through firewall (Windows firewall): "wireless mobile devices" and "wireless screen" (on both public and private networks)

- completely disable Windows firewall (no other firewalls installed)

- Second screen (Samsung app on Microsoft store) installed

- added an extra functionality in Windows (wireless screen), then uninstalled

- followed the wireless card advanced settings hint, changing 802.11 value from "a-x" to "a-b-g"

- connected devices through usb-C cable, just in case there was a secondary way to make it work (entering Win system settings, multiple screens, tried both "detect another screen" and "connect to a wireless screen")

- I even tried to add the tablet as a secondary Bluetooth monitor, but wasn't able to successfully connect them

Everything is updated (OS, software, firmware, drivers...) and I restarted both devices several times. I'm trying to connect my brand new Tab S8+ to an Acer Swift 3 running Windows 11, both connected to a wireless home network.

What I did countless times is:

- activate Second screen option on the Tab (on either draw/game or video mode)

- press Win+K on my laptop, select the Tab and it says "it wasn't possible to connect"; at the same time on the tablet a popup appears, saying it needs to be temporarily disconnected from the wifi network during the connection to the PC. I tap OK (I also tried "discard" a few times)

- if I select again the tablet from the Windows "cast" list it will idle on a "trying to connect" state, while on the Tab another prompt will popup, asking permission to allow the connection. After tapping "allow" nothing happens on the tablet, while the PC will continue trying to connect, without success.

I may not have used the exact terms, as both my OSs are in Italian, so the translation may differ.

It is also possible that I forgot some other workaround I've tried, as I spent such a long time trying to find a solution.

This is so frustrating, as I chose this tablet also because of this function. Can someone help me please?

Any hint will be appreciated.

GeorR
First Poster
Options

I'm exactly in the same situation. I tried all the suggested workarounds in this thread for a Samsung tab s8+ but nothing works. 

I'd appreciate any additional help.

sk26
First Poster
Options

It helped me to solve the problem by disabling the "Always-on VPN" option of my current VPN client (in the settings of the tablet itself under VPN section).

0 Likes
eitan72
First Poster
Options

Disabling my firewall completely "fixed" it for me as well. However, this is not a valid fix as my work requires me to have the firewall enabled. To Tom's point above, does anyone have any suggestions on specific things to change in the firewall to make this work?

I already tried enabling the "Wireless Portable Devices" as mcksth mentioned, but that does not seem to fix the problem for me. Has anyone has success changing specific settings but keeping the main firewall in place?

0 Likes
redsv650
Student
Options

I have this problem about 75% of the time when trying to use Second Screen. I haven't yet figured out a reliable solution, but today this worked! I'm running Symantec Endpoint Protection and after selecting "Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection" from the Taskbar, my Tab S8 connected using Second Screen.  Odd thing is that Symantec Endpoint Protection is still running (it's locked by our network administration).

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try this next time Second Screen glitches.

0 Likes
redsv650
Student
Options

IDK if my last reply was saved, so I'm reposting that this worked for me.  THANK YOU!  Second Screen connection problems are a frequent frustration for me, and this may be the root cause/solution.

I'm running Symantec Endpoint Protection and after clicking "Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection" Win+K connected my Tab S8 as a Second Screen. FTR, Symantec Endpoint Protection is still running (per Network Administration rules).

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Velectro_Ed8Pgkh
Apprentice
Options

Hello, I have a dell notebook with windows 10 enterprise. I'm able to use my s8 ultra as second screen, but when I try to use book cover keyboard for the input, right button (or double tap) does not work, Any suggestion?

0 Likes
chief_of_mischief
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem. Any fixes? Please help🙏🏻

0 Likes