Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Tab S6 Lite Spen rotation issue

(Topic created on: 10-07-2020 10:53 AM)
MatsHolmberg
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I recently got the S6 Lite for drawing use but there's an annoying issue with the Spen. I'd like to know if this is a Samsung bug or if I have a faulty device.

My Spen recognizes tilt and rotation (or heading of the pen) but the rotation is backwards. So when rotating the (tilted) pen clockwise every app seems to interpret that as a counter-clockwise rotation. This renders the tilt functionality pretty much useless. Can someone confirm and/or give me pointers as to what to do or where to go from here?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
AndrewL
Options
@MatsHolmberg: Is this only occurring while the S Pen is tilted e.g. if you hold the pen upright, does it correctly register your rotations? Have you tried this in Portrait and Landscape? In the meantime, please go to Settings > Advanced features > S Pen > Air Actions > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Reset S Pen, to see if this helps.
0 Likes
MatsHolmberg
Journeyman
Options

@AndrewL I don't see a difference with the pen upright but it's really meant to be working while tilted (so you get broad strokes like you do with a real pencil). Both portrait and landscape modes act the same. There's no option to reset the S Pen on my tablet (no Air Actions menu even).

MatsHolmberg
Journeyman
Options

I had the chance to test another Tab S6 Lite today and it was exactly the same. So it seems to be a software issue/bug and I would guess it affects all S6 Lites.

I hope Samsung can sort it out ASAP, though I'm not very hopeful they are hearing this.

Pilgo
Apprentice
Options

I and a bunch of other people are having the exact same issue on Note 10 Lite devices. I'm yet to find a Note 10 Lite in which the tilt/rotation that behaves properly. I've posted a video and some other info on my thread: https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note/Note-10-Lite-S-Pen-tilt-only-works-in-diagonals/td-p...

So far, we've tested Tab S4, Note 10, Note 10+, Note 9, Note 8 and Note 20 Ultra and none of those have this issue.

MatsHolmberg
Journeyman
Options

Hi, yes your issue with the Note 10 Lite is exactly the same issue that bothers the Tab S6 Lite. Tilt and rotation is recognized but the rotation angle is inverted. Thanks for confirming and sorry to hear this affects the Note 10 Lite as well.

I can't see any reason why this couldn't be (easily) fixed in software. I've been in touch with Samsung support but they will not do anything about the matter. I filed a bug report, but I never got any kind of confirmation that it even was received. Super frustrating. 

ncog
Apprentice
Options

Can vouch for the problem affecting my S6 Lite as well.

ncog
Apprentice
Options

An update: testing the tilt in Autodesk Sketchbook (on Tab S6 lite) it works in all directions, meaning it's a software issue with specific apps, it seems. Don't know about hw values, CW/CCW issue etc.  My mistake, it IS a problem with orientation.

0 Likes
MatsHolmberg
Journeyman
Options

I just tested Autodesk Sketchbook and for me it does not work, the issue still persists. It is the same in every app I've tried, even Samsung Notes.

MatsHolmberg
Journeyman
Options

Stylusis demonstrates the issue perfectly.