Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 +

(Topic created on: 05-01-2021 05:47 PM)
grantp4
Student
Options
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with the above tablet? My 17 year old daughter is wanting one but it needs to cover her for college and then University. I'm not convinced this is the right choice for something that needs to be more than just a tablet even if it does have a keyboard. I would have thought a plain laptop would be better for the same money.

Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Thanks

Patrick 
7 REPLIES 7
Aklima
Big Cheese
Options
Hi,
in the Samsung member forum u can check post about tab s7.
0 Likes
grantp4
Student
Options
Thanks I'll try now 🙂
0 Likes
Blind_Marv
Pathfinder
Options
I have a tab s7+ which suits me fine, especially as I'm sight impaired. However I would have thought that a laptop running Windows would be better suited for her.
0 Likes
Kodiguru
Explorer
Options
Hi Patrick, I have the Tab S7+ and can confirm that it most definitely the best Android tablet on the market, Tablet being the operative word here. You can do a awful lot on this tablet but it will never replace the Laptop experience and the productivity achieved with a laptop. Yes you can use a keyboard and Samsung Dex which makes it feel a little like using a Windows laptop but if its going to be for College and Uni work then I would recommend a Laptop. I would suggest looking at Samsung own Laptop range in particular the Samsung Flex. This device is the best of both worlds as it can fold 360 degrees so can transform from laptop into tablet so is great for doing Uni work while in laptop mode but fantastic for consuming content while in book or tablet mode. Hope this helps a little in making a decision.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
The tablet is great, at being a tablet.
But as a final year university student myself i can say without a doubt that you will need a regular laptop, because alot of what you do, uses apps and services that are only available for Windows.
Even writing reports and doing research, at university level this is a tremendous amount of work, not one that can be done on a tablet. Pretty much every course will require you to download certain apps and tools that are only available for Windows. So you will 100% need to buy a computer unless she wants to try her luck at renting the universities laptops or travelling to the university library in order to do any work.
The tablet is great if your just doing some light work, maybe doing some quick editing of a document or some light browsing, but accessing the university services, their own intranet, the softwares you will need, they are usually only available or optimized for windows, with support for Linux.
Not to mention, formatting a document in Word on a mobile device such as a tablet isn't the same as on the desktop version, and you will find that being able to format a proper technical report can be 10% of marks in a technical report or essay.

And on top of this, with the amount of workload and hours you will be putting onto the tablet if she were to try her luck at using it for university, the battery just wouldn't last and eventually you'd need a new battery or new tablet after only a year or 2.

My suggestion, with the price of the S7+, is to ditch the s-pen and buy a Galaxy tab S5e, and a basic laptop which the rest of your budget, which i assume would put your laptop price in the sub £400 category which is good enough for university work (unless her course is any form of engineering or computing, then ud need a gaming style laptop to handle the software, trust me i know, my course is engineering)

TL;DR

1) University apps/ Course specific softwares aren't available on android, only Windows

2) University workload is massive and a tablet battery won't even last 2 years before needing replacing, assignments takes hundreds of hours to do, and heavy use of the tablet drains the battery fast needing multiple charges in a day and massively shortening its life.

3) Formatting documents in Word on android doesn't show up properly on desktop, and citing references can't be done properly on the mobile version of word either, plus you can't add the required Word add-ons you may need for writing reports or essays.

4) Put the budget towards a cheaper tablet and a laptop. (Galaxy tab s5e is my recommendation, as i have one.)
0 Likes
Peibyn
Explorer
Options
Samsung tablets with S-pens are great for taking notes by hand in lectures. The Samsung Notes app can also convert them into text which can then be sent to a Windows laptop on desktop computer for processing, into essays perhaps. However some students keep their notes in Samsung Notes on their tablets. The note files can be synced to the Samsung Cloud for safety, in case the tablet is ever lost or stolen.
0 Likes
Aklima
Big Cheese
Options
I have no experience with galaxy tab s7 but I can say it's easier to carry and also can be put in hang bag. As for a laptop which is heavier and will need an additional bag for it to be carried which can easily be lost. Hope this help
0 Likes