Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720) - Bizarre problem: can't find a case that fits. Is my tablet fake?

(Topic created on: 05-04-2021 11:39 PM)
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720). I've bought two cases for it but neither of them fit properly: the cut out for the volume and power buttons are too low down, meaning I can't access them, or the case itself pushes down on the volume keys. In the picture below, for example, you can see the hole that I should be able to press the power button through, but the actual button is further up towards the top of the tablet. There's a plastic 'rocker' for the volume keys, but, again, it's too low down for where the buttons actually are:

PXL_20210323_200527018.jpg

Comparing my device with pictures from Samsung's official site, the buttons are also higher up. The top of the power button on my device is parallel with the bottom of the camera lens, whereas here, in this photo from the tablet product page on Samsung Uk, it's about 2cm below the bottom of the camera:

(Samsung's photo)

Screenshot 2021-04-05 211323.png

(My tablet - you can see the power key is a lot closer to the top of the tablet):

PXL_20210405_201425677.jpg

I've searched but I cannot find any pictures of Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e models that match my device. According to the model number on the back of the device, and on the 'About tablet' page in the system settings, the model number is SM-T720, FFC ID A3LSMT720. These match the cases I've been buying (this one, for example), but they don't fit properly.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on with this? I bought the tablet used from eBay from a trusted seller and in all other respects it's absolutely fine, but I'm wondering if he perhaps bought it from a non-EU region where the button placement is slightly different.

Any help would be very much appreciated 😀 It's driving me mad.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
Oh ok thanks for telling me.
0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

@APARMAR, thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately I can see that case won't fit as the power button is lower down than my tablet.

@Shazzkid, I downloaded the app you mentioned and it's saying it's got the Snapdragon 670 installed.

0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

In the live chat to Samsung both serial numbers checked out, so I do think the device is genuine. I can only surmise that it's some odd version of it from a different region with non-standard button placement

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
The serial numbers don't mean much these days, people use real S/Ns and put them on fake devices, this has becomes extremely popular with apple Air pods, as people would check the SN on the box and it would show up as real, but was in fact fake. Afterall anyone can just copy a real SN and stick in on a bunch of fake devices

I have never seen an S5e with your button placement, pls let us know what Samsung makes of it, as i can't see how it would be real.
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
You can check if it is from a different region by looking in settings>about phone>software information>service provider software version
Tdog970
Journeyman
Options

IMG20210407181405.jpg

Hello, Jamie John.

I have attached a picture of my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e so you can compare the two, mine is definitely authentic as I purchased from Samsung last week.

I've got the official Samsung book cover, I got it from Currys PC world and it fits like a glove. It's magnetic and it snaps on the back and is surprisingly extremely secure and looks really smart and I bought a tablet sleeve to put it in whilst still in the Samsung book cover so not to scuff the edges when I'm carrying it around in my backpack. It's quite expensive for the book cover at £59.99 but if I were you I'd make the purchase when you can afford to do so as IMO the quality is far superior to any third party cases on the market. I've bought plenty of cases from Amazon and eBay in the past for phones and tablets that don't quite line up so I wouldn't worry that your tablet is a clone or whatever, I'm pretty certain it's just the particular cases you've bought. 

From what I've seen online there doesn't seem to be many cases at all for the Tab S5e compared with other models and brands of tablet, which is weird. 

Good choice though, I've got the 128GB + 6GB ram version and I absolutely love it, by far the best tablet I've owned! As mentioned though, when you're in a position to do so, I'd highly recommend the Samsung book cover. As say, I paid 60 quid but I'm impatient and wanted it the same day, I'm sure if you shop around you'll find it cheaper elsewhere.

Hope this helps mate

Tdog970
Journeyman
Options

IMG20210407183241.jpg

 And also, with the book cover it wouldn't matter where the holes are, because it snaps on the back via magnet so it doesn't actually have slots for the power button and volume rocker!

Hope this helps mate!

0 Likes
JamieJohn
Journeyman
Options

Update:

The Samsung repair person rang me today to say that the tablet is genuine and there's nothing wrong with it, but he couldn't explain the thing with the buttons, either. *Sigh*

It must just be a quirk from the manufacturing process, I guess. I tried to see if they would swap it for a regular model, but the guy I spoke to wouldn't budge. It's now on its way back to me. Waste of time, but at least I know it's genuine. I will just have to get a magnetic case, like the one posted above. I've half a mind to get the official keyboard case, although I don't know how much use it would get. £110, too...

Thanks again to everyone for their replies and suggestions!