Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Tab A locked and changed password

(Topic created on: 03-11-2020 02:55 PM)
SB375
Student
Options

My daughters Samsung Galaxy Tab A has suddenly changed her lock screen pin number to a password which we do not know.   It asks for a password containing a minimum of 4 characters and one number, it previously was a pin with numbers only. 

It also won't allow us to turn the device off or restart without the password.  I have forced a reboot but can't see another way to turn the device off in order to do a factory re-set. 

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks. 

36 REPLIES 36
Je655
Helping Hand
Options

If you go to Samsungs find my phone it says they offer a way to unlock your device if you forget your pin or password

https://findmymobile.samsung.com

Je655
Helping Hand
Options

And i think that tablet is vol up and power. If your unable to login to the Samsung account Try Restarting by holding down the Volume Up button then pressing the Power button until it restarts to the android boot menu. 

0 Likes
SB375
Student
Options

Unfortunately I think you have to be logged into your Samsung account on the device.  Just tried it anyway and it wouldn't work.  Would have been great if it did.  Thanks anyway. 

0 Likes
Je655
Helping Hand
Options

@Je655 wrote:

And i think that tablet is vol up and power. If your unable to login to the Samsung account Try Restarting by holding down the Volume Up button then pressing the Power button until it restarts to the android boot menu. 

If this also doesn't help, do you know if the device had any Samsung accounts or google accounts on it?

Google can erase the device remotely 

https://support.google.com/android/answer/6160491

0 Likes
Netta87
Student
Options

Hi there I have the exact same problem with my sons tablet, it is asking for pin number which contains 4 numbers it has not been changed since we purchased it which is less then a year ago and it will not let us restart or turn off I have tried using volume button and off button that is not working is there a solution.

Anubis08
First Poster
Options

Hello! I  had the same problem with my tablet, last night my tablet locked me out... I tried everything, but I found a solution first make sure your tablet is off then click the on/off button and the volume up button hold for about 10-15 seconds, then a screen will pop up then let go and it powered off, then it showed your password it should be fixed so type in your original password and then a tablet starting screen should pop up then after about 5-10 seconds you'll be logged in. I would recommend changing your password to a pattern password so the same issue doesn't happen again. Also this may not work on all tablets just mine is a newer version. 

knookie
First Poster
Options

This video helped me when I couldn't even restart the device (Tab A):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRe3BK1YMus

MilaTarter
First Poster
Options

This worked for me! I had to wait until my tablet turned off for lack of battery, then put it to charge. When it was 100% I press the on/off button and the volume up for 15 sec simultaneously, a black screen showed up and then pressed the reboot system option. 

0 Likes
michaelugm
First Poster
Options

i just solved my Tab A (2019) similar problems, thanks to the video mentioned above. 
my battery was still 90% but it is fine.

1) double tab to get the lock screen lit up, do not enter PIN or pattern
2) press Volume Down + Start button to force shutdown
3) reboot it (i was waiting for the Recovery screen by pressing Volume Up + Start button)
4) but it entered straight into boot up mode and i can see my home wallpaper
5) for some unknown reason, my orignial PIN works again
6) i immediately deleted the PIN to prevent future "surprises"