I'm honestly fuming and disappointed in samsung. I was laying down, dozing off with my 11 year old daughter across the room from me when a huge bang came from the adapter and black smoke started coming out of it less than a metre from my HEAD! My daughter started screaming and I was half asleep but I just pulled the plug out as fast as I could. If was boiling hot and it burned my fingers so I just dropped it on the bed and calmed my daughter down. When it had cooled enough to touch I saw that it had blown the plastic back clean off and the inside was co.etely burnt and black. It even tripped our fuse box and turned all the other plug sockets off. We are all in shock honestly. It caught fire so close to my face it could have caused serious damage. My daughter was in the room and my two other daughters were in the rooms next door. If my daughter hadn't seen the smoke we could have all died! I reported this all to Samsung and they just sent an email saying they've closed the case and that's it?! WHAT? The force of whatever happened messed up my tablet it was charging I've only just noticed the screens got a small crack in it and it wont charge properly now! I'm so angry. We have got 3 other samsung plugs that charge my daughters electronics do i stop using those? Just honestly so disappointed with the way this is being handled.
@Clare1968: I'm really sorry to hear that you have experienced this issue. We take matters of customer safety very seriously, so I'd like to look into this further for you. With this in mind, please send a private message to Sam_UK by tapping on your profile at the top of the page > Messages > New Message > Sam_UK, and include details of your issue, and myself or one of the other mods will be in touch to provide further assistance. Once, again, please accept my apologies for any distress this may have caused you.